A ThermoDynamic Presence

Currently a physics teacher at LHS, Mr. Cook’s active duty ended in 2009, but he still remains part of the IRR.

In America, war veterans are seen as national icons. They are on par with superheroes like Captain America as they fight for the ideals that represent this country. For many, it’s an honor to meet a veteran and an honor to be taught by one; for some LHS students, that’s the case with physics teacher, Mr. Michael Cook.

Mr. Cook first started training with the military when he took the oath in 2000 and entered DODMERBS (Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board) the same year. This is a medical examination program that evaluates and examines whether applicants meet medical standards for the military. He continued with his senior year in high school and was about to leave for boot camp when he picked up the ROTC scholarship and decided to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison. People receiving the ROTC scholarship for committing to serve in the military after college are eligible for financial aid covering tuition, fees, and textbooks.

There, Mr. Cook took another oath of office in August 2001 and double majored for five years in electrical engineering and naval science. After his five years at the university, he was sworn in as a second lieutenant on May 15, 2006.

“I decided to join the Marine Corps because I love my country; to keep our country as great as it is, somebody has to be willing to defend it. I was always raised to stand up for what I believed in; I wanted to fight for those who can’t fight for themselves,” shared Mr. Cook. “All of that sounded fun to me; I loved being in the Marine Corps, it was an honor to serve.”

Once he was sworn in as a second lieutenant, he attended The Basic School and the Infantry Officers Course in Quantico, VA. until March 2007.

At these schools, Mr. Cook spent every chance he could get studying or working out because he felt that anytime he performed less than perfectly, it could result in a casualty in combat.

His dedication paid off in both areas. He won the Iron Mike Award, which is given to the individual Marine who performs the best on all the physical tests. Mr. Cook also finished first in his platoon at The Basic School and in the top 5 percent of his company, with a class standing of 12 out of 243.

After basic schooling for the Marine Corps, he served as a second lieutenant in Operation Iraqi Freedom in Fallujah, Iraq, from September 2007 to May 2008. In Fallujah, he was with his men everyday developing plans, leading operations, and getting the job done. Soon after his Iraq deployment, he was promoted to First Lieutenant.

“As a leader of Marines, I was entrusted with my men’s lives, a responsibility I did not take lightly. I always looked at it as I worked for my Marines, not that they worked for me,” Mr. Cook shared.

He then served on the 31st MEU (Marines Expeditionary Unit) for nine months beginning in 2009 and was sent to the Philippines, Australia, and Thailand. Within the MEU, he was part of a boat company responsible for performing raids undetected by landing on the shore in rubber zodiacs (inflatable boats used in the military) from the larger naval ships. These missions were usually smaller and their objective was to get in and out as fast as they could.

While deployed on the 31st MEU, Mr. Cook served as the XO of Company I, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines in 2009 and was promoted to captain in August 2010.

His service on active duty ended December 1, 2009, and his service in the Active Reserves ended on November 29, 2012. He still remains a part of the Marine Corps, but is a member of the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR).

“That made me respect him even more,” junior Jackie Ovassapian shared about her first time learning Mr. Cook served in the Marines before becoming a physics teacher. “The fact that he has made a difference for our country, for other countries, and now for students is incredible. He’s really one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met.”