Tayfel brothers score two as Wildcats remain undefeated at home
Jack Birmingham
Sophomore Logan Tayfel (2) takes the ball into Falcon territory, pursued by Wheaton North junior midfielder Sean DeValk (15). Logan Tayfel and his brother Jacob Tayfel each scored once in the game’s second quarter. Logan Tayfel called the game’s ending an “amazing finish to this game today.”

On Thursday, April 25, the varsity boys lacrosse team played their sixth home game, remaining undefeated at home, as they triumphed over the Wheaton North Falcons 12-3.

While both the visiting Falcons and the Wildcats were ranked and evenly matched early on, Libertyville established themselves as a clear victor following four quarters of intense play.

Libertyville was 10-2 overall and 2-1 in conference, coming off two consecutive wins, beating the Grant Community Bulldogs 17-2 on April 19 and the Lake Zurich Bears 9-4 on April 24.

The Falcons were also a strong team coming in, ranked first in the DuKane conference and sporting a 9-1 record, their only loss being a 19-5 away defeat against the Glenbard West Hilltoppers.

When play started, Libertyville made quick work of gaining the lead with two goals from senior attackman Luke Kazian (5), his first assisted by senior midfielder Jake Gimbert (7). Kazian was also the team’s leading scorer for the night with four goals.

Freshman Connor Luxon (24) also scored once in the first quarter, which came to a close following Wheaton North’s first goal, scored by sophomore midfielder Seth Pacer (2).

“I think we played really well on defense, especially on the backside,” senior defender Oliver Braun (6) said. “Also on offense, we swung the ball around well and Connor Luxon had some nice finishes.”

The second quarter kicked off with a quick goal by junior midfielder Jacob Tayfel (17), which was matched by a score from Wheaton North sophomore attackman Eli Koenig (16).

Luxon scored again to grow the Wildcat lead to 5-2, while sophomore midfielder Logan Tayfel (2) scored the last goal of the half, sending the home team into the locker room with a 6-2 lead.

Jacob Tayfel started playing lacrosse in seventh grade due to his younger brother taking up the sport, saying that their relationship affects their gameplay immensely.

“I think when we’re on the field together, we work amazingly,” Jacob Tayfel said. “There’s a chemistry that I don’t have with most of the other guys on the team that I love to see. It’s always fun having a brother on the team. I love all these guys here, they’re also my brothers, but it doesn’t get much better [than] playing with him.”

Logan Tayfel has been playing since fourth grade and has been on varsity for both of his first two years of high school, similar to Jacob Tayfel, who has been on varsity for all three of his years.

Like his brother, Logan Tayfel said that it doesn’t get much better than playing with a sibling.

“Family is the most important thing in the world to me,” Logan Tayfel said. “I wouldn’t really be in the spaces I am in today without my family, my mom, my brothers, my dad. Playing with Jacob, it’s just like a weight lifted off your shoulders. I’m never nervous playing a game because Jacob’s always there playing with me and especially when we get to be on the same line together. It doesn’t get much better than that.”

Libertyville ultimately grew their lead drastically in the second half, scoring six goals compared to just one from the Falcons.

Senior attackman and North Central College commit Kyle Carollo (4) scored twice. Kazian also scored twice, one goal assisted by senior long-stick midfielder Luca DiCarlo (12), an Ohio Wesleyan University commit. Junior midfielder Max Gimbert (34) scored, assisted by Luxon, with Luxon himself scoring the game’s last goal.

“We didn’t really let them get any looks, except when they came a few times through the middle,” Braun said. “We ate those shots up with Jake Stilling and Charlie Watson in [the] cage. Something I’m proud of is we played really hard on all the ground balls.”

The team will next play on the road against the Vernon Hills Cougars on Monday, April 29.

View Comments (1)