Cook library study room renovations

This is the rendering for the 10 person conference room. It will be located in the lower level of the library and will replace the area that housed the microfiche machines as well as various printers and copiers. (Louie Perry)

In early February, Cook Memorial Public Library announced plans to build four additional study spaces at their Libertyville campus. Construction began on Feb. 19 and will be completed by April.

Three private study rooms upstairs will be built near the adult computer section where Digital Studio Two was formerly located. In the lower level, the 10-person conference room will be constructed across from the Teen Zone area near the local history section. 

These renovations are part of the library’s 2023-2026 strategic plan passed by the Cook Library Board of Trustees. This plan will address the implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic, as well as shifting community goals and needs. It will also serve to provide equitable access to the library resources. The library hopes to optimize its vast space for its patrons through renovations, specifically implementing these new study rooms. 

The final design for the three private study rooms, located on the upper level of the library, it will fit up to three people in each, and are replacing the Digital Studio 2. All updated study rooms will be finished in time for students to use to study during finals season at the end of the school year.

The library’s administration stated in their announcement of the renovations that their reasoning behind creating new rooms was due to the high demand for the current private study rooms used by students and adults. People frequent these spaces for homework, tutoring, test preparation for the ACT or SAT, meetings and even spending time with friends.

Offering additional spaces will combat the increasing demand for the current rooms, providing areas for students and community members to use. The new rooms will include tables, chairs, charging outlets and TV monitors for casting capabilities.

Cook Library already offers three private study rooms upstairs within the adult services section, as well as a four-person private room downstairs in the Teen Zone. The library also offers a conference room which can hold up to 56 patrons with screen projection technology and other resources.

In the announcement, the library explained that the new 10-person conference room will give the opportunity for larger meetings but in a more private and personal setting. 

In order to make space for these renovations, librarians had to remove a whole section of shelving. The library looked through data to see which books were not being checked out and removed a number of books and some CD collections to make way for the glass-walled conference room. (Via Cook Library)

These private rooms require reservations to secure a space and are only available to adults and students 14 and older. 

The rooms can be reserved one week in advance for a maximum time of two hours a day. If you don’t arrive within 15 minutes or don’t give notice, reservations will be canceled and given up to another group who are waiting. 

You can book the rooms via the Cook Library website or their phone number, 847-362-2330.