Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

Libertyville Doesn’t Gamble on Video Slots

Mayor Weppler addressing a town member at the Town Hall Meeting over the issue of video gambling.

On Dec. 9, the Libertyville town board unanimously upheld the ban on video gambling, which was first passed in 2009.

Video gambling was legalized in Illinois in 2009, but almost immediately after its passage, the town of Libertyville, along with most towns across the state, passed an ordinance banning the video machines. Recently, Ed Downing, owner of Downing’s, which is a bar on Milwaukee Avenue near Route 176, has brought up the issue because he has interest in installing them into his establishment.

The requirements to have these video machines installed include needing to have a liquor license and a maximum of five slots allowed, all of which must be in sight of the bartender.

Downing’s meets all of those needs, and the move would have been very profitable for business, which Downing said multiple times throughout the process. Downing also mentioned that business has been hurting after towns around Libertyville, like Mundelein, have allowed video gambling. Other towns in the area that have voted to allow video gambling are North Chicago, Wadsworth, Green Oaks and Waukegan. Towns that have not lifted the ban include Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Vernon Hills, Gurnee, Barrington, Deerfield, and Lincolnshire.

Part of the concern from Libertyville residents is which of those towns’ values are closer in line with the atmosphere in Libertyville. The consensus at the town hall meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 18 was the latter. Values werea huge part of the debate, as many said that they do not want their children being around the flashing lights and jingle of change coming in and out of the machines. It is a question of going out for dinner as a family and the machines being there for many parents.

Additionally, if the law were passed, it would be very hard to overturn. As written, Libertyville holds control of its fate whether they want the law or not, but once passed, the ball is not in their court anymore. If Libertyville passed the law, and then the state changed the law to allow more than five slots in each establishment, then Libertyville’s law would be changed along with it.

The amount of slots was a sticking point for many residents who were concerned with five slots possibly becoming 10, becoming 20, and the whole thing getting out of control. Five slots in Downing’s would likely not be a huge deal, a point said many times during the town hall meeting, but nothing would stop the openings of establishments that held five slots and served drinks, just waiting for the law to increase the amount of slots allowed.

Another large issue that was brought up with many residents was the character aspect of Libertyville. It was mentioned that Libertyville has been voted a top 10 town in the nation to raise a family, and many residents believe that bringing gambling to Libertyville changes important aspects of this town, including the family atmosphere and the small-town feel.

Each board member spoke at the town hall meeting, and most made it quite clear that they were going to vote the way that the townspeople felt. When the ban was voted unanimously upheld earlier this month, the town clearly was very against it, and the financial benefit to a business or two was not worth the risk for many residents.