The Role of Social Media in College Admissions

Some of the main social media tools prospective students can use in their college admissions process.
Social Media Platforms

Parents and admissions counselors are constantly harping on the importance of how students should present themselves on social media. They talk about taking down inappropriate pictures, placing strict privacy settings, and watching their language on these sites.

However, recently, the shoe is on the other foot. Students looks at a college’s Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook as a window into academic and social life of that college.

The role social media plays in the college admissions process is becoming ever more prevalent. Prospective students are now using social media to make real-time connections with real people to do many things such as find a roommate, ask more questions about academics or campus life, and connect with an admissions counselor.

Joey Pucino, a senior at LHS and a future University of Arizona Wildcat, has had plenty of experience with social media and the admissions process.

“When I was accepted into the University of Arizona, but not yet their film and television production program, I was constantly communicating back and forth with the College of Fine Arts and the admissions lady from U of A. I started speaking with her a year ago and she slowly got to know me and was excited when I was admitted,” said Pucino.

With all of this information so easily accessible, it can be important to take steps to increase a prospective student’s knowledge and connection to the school.   A prospective student might want express interest in that school by “liking” or “following” that college or university. This is an easy and effective way to demonstrate interest in the school.

“Because many high school students now have moved on from Facebook into the realms of Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram and SnapChat, colleges are constantly trying to play catch up and determine the best way to communicate with you!  The benefits are that they can talk with you where you are (online), and answer your questions in a comfortable format.”According to College Resource Center counselor Ms. Amy Belstra,

Pucino added: “I think it allows students to form relationships with the college admissions teams before actually applying for the school, which in the long run assists in getting admitted.”

In 2012, Zinch, a scholarship aid website, conducted a survey that found that 68 percent of prospective students use social media to research schools. One could also “follow” a college or university on Twitter as a quick and easy way for other prospective students to interact on a real-time feed. YouTube has also been an important tool in that a student could see move-in videos, virtual campus tours, and see actual people who go that school.
“I constantly looked at YouTube, College Niche, Admittedly, Instagram, Naviance, and Twitter when deciding what school to attend. They helped me finalize my decision,” said  Pucino.