BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout

70s and 80s Trends Are Back

Photo from Mortal Muses
Polaroid pictures are a returning trend from the 70s-80s time period

Vinyl records, flower crowns, Polaroid cameras, and high-waisted shorts: all things that people see nowadays with the comeback of trends from the 1970s and 80s.

Teenagers nowadays are reviving this time period by showing interest in these vintage items. From fashion to lifestyle, this free-spirited generation has surely been rebooted.

Stores like Urban Outfitters have adapted styles from the 70s and 80s, and people are definitely interested. Selling turntables for around $100, and records anywhere from a minimum of $15 to a high of $100 for box sets at Urban, depending on popularity and track listings, the cost to buy these things in new condition is very high. Authentic record shops sell some of the same albums for a lot cheaper, but the convenience of commercial stores like Urban carrying these things is tempting to consumers.

Polaroid cameras, originally introduced from the brand in the 40s, were a hit in the 70s when the instant camera was created as a portable and more trendy option for people to use on the go. This was the camera that revolutionized photography in the sense that people could use it in a non-professional setting. When the cameras went digital, most people were ready to leave their instant film behind.

In 2010, the company released the Polaroid Instant Camera with 300 Camera-styled film that captured the older style of instant film, while it had many technological improvements, such as different flash options and easier film changes. While original Polaroid cameras were sold anywhere from $20 to $80, the compact Instant Camera is sold anywhere from $70-100. They’re available at Urban Outfitters, RadioShack, and other commercial camera stores. Retailers can now sell the cameras for an inflated price, considering consumers will pay for it in order to get the vintage camera experience.

Freshman Jack Miller bought a Polaroid camera over the summer because it interested him. “I think that people don’t understand how important pictures are. We get really caught up in the digital world and we can have pictures on our phones and our computers but we usually don’t have physical pictures that we hold onto,” he said.

Miller believes that the price of Polaroid cameras are well worth the novelty of the pictures. “Yeah, it can get expensive buying film for more than a dollar per picture, but the way I see it, taking a Polaroid picture isn’t just like snapping one on your phone. It’s more like taking the perfect picture because they’re worth more. I like setting up for the best quality I can get because I’m going to have these, and they’re special to me. So the price is worth it if you learn how to take good pictures with a different-styled quality,” he said.

Miller’s favorite place to take his Polaroid pictures is at rehearsal for LHS’s fall musical, “Monty Python’s Spamalot”. He explained, “All of my closest friends are in the musical, and we all spend hours on end there so I figured why not capture some of the best memories with the camera while I’m there? Everyone really enjoys looking at the pictures, and I put a lot of them on the bulletin in the green room downstairs in the auditorium.”

While things go in and out of style, the comeback of 70s and 80s styles has surely made its presence clear in the 2000s. Junior Julia Wilson likes to model her own wardrobe around many 80s trends.

“My mom kept all her vintage clothes from the 80s, and I think every girl goes through that phase where they think that their mom’s clothes are cool. I love 80s movies too, and I think that 1985 was one of the best years in movie history. Lots of trends are pretty much timeless especially with guys and their khakis and the center hair part,” said Wilson. “My favorite thing to come back from the 70s are peasant tops; those look good on everyone. For me, the big hair is cool because I have a lot of curly hair. Peplum tops and florals are my favorites, and those are definitely coming back.”

Wilson says the later 80s trends that involved grunge is another one of the things coming back. “Everyone in this school owns a flannel and a jean jacket, and combat boots are all over the place for fall. Lots of people don’t have the quote-on-quote ‘perfect’ hair anymore, people just go with their natural hair whether it’s really curly or just kind of wavy.

“There is no 2014 style. I think the past just sort of comes back around, and once the 70s and 80s trends are gone, it’ll transition into whatever is next,” she said. “I don’t think there’s been a real iconic fashion movement in a while, considering the styles now are things you would find from around 20 years ago. It’ll be exciting to see what comes next.”