All-State Musicians

Owen Gohr

Senior Owen Gohr placed sixth chair in the Honors Orchestra, playing the double-string bass. Gohr, who has played the cello for ten years, started playing the bass because he wanted to play in Highland Middle School’s jazz band and has been playing the bass for five years since then. 

“I was really happy, because it was my goal to make All-State,” Gohr said. “My mom made All-State a couple times when she was in high school.” 

Gohr practiced and worked extremely hard for this goal, putting in 45 minutes to an hour of practice per day, six days a week, every week for the summer of 2023 and it all paid off for him.

“Just keep doing music even if it’s not the main part of your life,” Gohr said. “Practicing is important no matter how much it sucks.”

Margo McGormley

Senior Margo McGormley placed seventh chair in the Honors Band, playing the trombone. McGormley, a member of the Wind Ensemble and winner of the annual senior concerto competition, has been drawn to the trombone since she was in fourth grade. 

McGormley also started taking lessons with Ms. Colleen Bayoneto, a local trombone private lesson instructor, around this time. 

McGormley was pleasantly surprised to qualify for the Honors Band. 

“I was kind of shocked too because I was like, ‘wow, I really didn’t think I was as good at my instrument,’” McGormley said.

McGormley, who recently performed “Morceau Symphonique, Op. 88” by Alexandre Guilmant on trombone at the winter band concert, advised musicians to do things that make them love your instrument and just practice. 

Aditi Nair:

Senior Aditi Nair placed first chair in the Honors Orchestra as an Orchestra Wind player, being recognized as the best bass trombonist in the state of Illinois. Nair has been a member of the Wind Ensemble since her sophomore year and started playing in fourth grade, when her elementary school band director, Mr. Dave Jones from Oak Grove, showcased all the instruments. 

“[Mr. Jones] played a superhero theme, and I was really into that at that point in my life,” Nair said. 

Like McGormley, Nair has been taking private lessons with Ms. Bayoneto for years as well, which is where she picked up the bass trombone. 

“You’re selected from your district audition initially,” Nair said. “So if you place high enough in the district… you get selected for state.”

Nair said that private lessons really help.

“You hone your skills [during class],” Nair said, “but it’s a lot about what you put in outside of that.”

Dakota Olson:

Junior Dakota Olson placed first chair in the Honors Band, recognized as the best flutist in Illinois. Olson, a member of the Wind Ensemble since her freshman year, started playing in fourth grade, picking up the flute at Oak Grove. 

Olson has been taking private lessons with private tutor Mrs. Amy Dohler, who Olsen says “really took [her] from being a middle school player to a more serious high school player.” 

Olson described her practicing rigor as very intense. 

“Keep playing as much as you can, play whatever you can, whenever you can,” Olson remarked.