Married Couples at LHS

Secret Engagement

Mr. and Mrs. Wiggins have been married for 15 years this July after meeting at LHS in 2004 when they were both hired as new teachers. Mr. Wiggins now teaches Honors Geography and AP Human Geography. Mrs. Wiggins initially started at LHS as an English teacher but has worked as a librarian for the past 11 years.

Although the pair hit it off upon meeting, no students or staff knew.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

“So really, no one knew when we were dating, when we got engaged,” Mrs. Wiggins said. “There were a few teachers, Mr. Mix was his close friend and Ms. Powell was mine so they knew, but of course, none of our students knew or anything.”

However the secret got out when Mrs. Wiggins came back after summer vacation and told her students.

“They were excited for me and they asked me what my new name was going to be and I said, ‘Well, my name is going to be Mrs. Wiggins,’ And one of my students, I can still see him, I remember where he sat and everything and he said, ‘Well, do you know, there’s a Mr. Wiggins down the hall?!’” Mrs. Wiggins said. “And I guess my face was there showing it right because everyone just erupted because they had no idea [we had even been dating.”

High School Sweethearts

Mr. Olszewski is a science teacher and Mrs. Olszewski teaches math. Mr and Mrs. Olszewski have been dating since high school (1996). . . give or take a day.

“We broke up for one day in that time. He will say it was for 12 hours, but yes, we have pretty much been together since 1996,” Mrs. Olszewski said in an email interview.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

Mrs. Olszewski started at LHS after college and has been here for 23 years. Mr. Olszewski ultimately decided to join her here.

“It is hard to measure all the benefits of teaching in the same building, knowing the same kids and colleagues, being familiar with the same procedures, being on the same calendar schedule, commuting together, etc,” Mr. Olszewski said.

Although the pair have spent a majority of their lives together (high school, college, and now career), they maintain their independence and somewhat separate hemispheres within the school environment.

“He has his own friends/activities he is involved with at LHS as do I,” Mrs. Olszewski said. “So while we have the common experience of teaching in the same building we really do our own thing while we are here.”

Sometimes, however, their paths cross.

“Someone decided to put us in MASH together last year and that was hilarious,” Mrs. Olszewski said. “He would literally be throwing pencils at me while I was trying to help students. Needless to say, the powers that be decided not to pair us in the MASH again this year.”

Gym teacher + Math teacher (Pt.1)

Mr. and Mrs. Gooris have been married since 2012. Mr. Gooris is a P.E. teacher and Mrs. Gooris is a math teacher. The couple met at LHS in 2007. Although the two are in different departments, they appreciate the perks of working together.

“It is nice to have the same schedule, same friends/colleagues, and understanding of each other’s careers,” Mrs. Gorris said in an email interview.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

The Gorris’ also appreciate the new connections LHS and Libertyville itself has brought them.

“We like being part of the community and also living so close, we have many colleagues that are dear friends,” Mr. Gorris said. “Since we are in different departments, we have been able to connect with more people.”

How often they get to see each other during the school day often depends on their scheduling each semester.

“This semester, [we usually see each other] usually once a day,” Mrs. Gorris said.

While often a couple working together in the same building has its perks, it can be even better for their students.

“Students would ask me for insight on math tests or leniency on math grading,” Mr. Gorris said.

Gym teacher + Math teacher (Pt. 2!!)

Mr. and Mrs. Davis met at LHS in 2012 and have been married since 2015. Mr. Davis is the Athletics assistant director and P.E teacher and Mrs. Davis teaches math. Mrs. Davis had been here for 15 years and Mr. Davis had been here for 13.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

Having a similar schedule is another perk that the Davis’ appreciate.

“It has come in handy when one of our cars is out of commission or if we need to switch cars during the day,” Mr. Davis said in an email interview. “Also, if one of us is absent, the other can easily bring home materials we need, not to mention the ability to see each other when we want to!”

PAWS off this secure relationship

Mr. Akers is a member of security and Mrs. Akers is a PAWS teacher. Mrs. Akers has worked here since 2001, and Mr. Akers eventually joined her here in 2009. They have been married for 17 years.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

Similarly to many of the other teacher couples, there is a level of understanding when it comes to talking about your day that can’t always be achieved by a couple working at different places.

“We go home and he talks about work and we know the same kids,” Mrs. Akers said. “The same things happen and there’s no learning curve to figure out what they do with their job.”

While their paths don’t often cross with one of them in the dungeon (art wing) and the other at a security desk, the two have had collaborations.

“Now, I think there was one time when I subbed with her a long time ago,” Mr. Akers said. “Most of the kids already knew who I was at that point, but I think the funny part is when people don’t realize.”

Prom Dates

Mr. and Mrs. Uliks have been married since 2011. Mrs. Uliks started here in 2000 as a special education teacher and Mr. Uliks started in 2004 as a school resource officer after retiring as a Libertyville police officer. Mrs. Uliks is now the director of student activities and Mr. Uliks is the head of campus safety.

While both Uliks’s have very busy schedules, they make time for each other, even if it’s just for lunch.

Ashley Sanchez
Ashley Sanchez

“He takes care of me. He brings me coffee every morning, and he always makes sure that I eat lunch because if he doesn’t make me eat lunch I won’t because I’m so busy,” Mrs. Uliks said.

Unlike some of the other LHS couples who are separated by their individual jobs, the Uliks’s often intersect.

“The interesting thing for us is sometimes our roles kind of intersect,” Mr. Uliks said. “Because we have to do a lot of planning for big [student activities] events together.”

A great example of this is prom!

“Mr. Uliks used to go to prom with me before we were married,” Mrs. Uliks said. “We’ve been to a lot of proms together.”

If you’re sad you didn’t see the Browns, Guiards, O’Neills, Aubins, or Loikas in this spread, check out “Teacher Power Couples” from 2019 on lhsdoi.com featuring the stories of those five couples!