Both casts pose with student director Olivia Morgan for a group picture, following the production’s final dress rehearsal on Wednesday, April 17. There were four shows over the next three days, including two on Saturday, April 20.

On April 18-19, 2024, at 7:30 p.m. and April 20 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., “Dancing at Lughnasa,” was showcased in the auditorium.

The show stars Michael, an adult, reminiscing on his childhood in 1936 Ireland. He recalls his five aunts (the Mundy sisters), his uncle (Father Jack) and his father (Gerry). 

Compared to past productions, the cast was smaller – featuring eight roles – and was double casted leading to four separate shows and 16 different actors for the community to enjoy. 

The actors had more freedom in this production than usual.  

“Usually, we will start with one cast and we’ll get on stage and start running through a scene,” senior Eleni Rappa, who plays Kate alongside junior Rosie Wagner, said. “For this show, it’s supposed to be real people [with] real emotions so Mr. Thomas allowed [us] to be more free with our blocking.”

But working with two casts presented challenges.

“It’s harder [working with two casts],” Rappa said. “Getting the blocking while sitting down is difficult [because] you’re watching and not doing it yourself.”

Behind the scenes, although hectic, was filled with several fun moments.

“The majority of people who are backstage are in headsets,” senior Mila Kvasnicka, the stage manager, said. “We kind of have our own little moments where if there is something on stage that is a jaw dropping moment, we’ll say ‘word’ or ‘mic drop’ during the show.”

As the spring performance, this marked Libertyville’s final theater event of the 2023-24 school year.