Super Bowl stats and fun facts

The most important part of the Super Bowl is not the game, according to some fans.
National Retail Federation

On Sunday, a clash between the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers took place in Santa Clara, California, at Levi’s Stadium. The Broncos came out on top with a 24-10 victory and the honors of receiving the coveted Lombardi trophy. Records were broken and new ones arose, so let’s look back at the game and festivities for eye-opening numbers and details.

Lady Gaga began the big game with a rendition of the national anthem, topping off at a time between 2:20-2:26 depending on what was interpreted as the “end” according to The Washington Post. Aside from the controversial time that had some people with “opportunities” tied to the anthem up in arms, it was executed with precision and was well done.

Everyone is ready for the game … it kicks off … commercial. The commercials are what many looked forward to seeing, minus the game ad-ding to the uniqueness of the Super Bowl. It cost a whopping $5 million to air a 30-second advertisement this year, so many companies release their game-day ads before hand on YouTube to gain extra money. YouTube said that on the Friday before the game, more than 40 ads and 130 teasers were released. They also mentioned that those companies who put out their ads ahead of time received around 2.2 times more views than those who waited until Sunday’s big game.

USA Today released their 28th annual ad meter after the game finished. Topping the charts was Hyundai’s “First Date” featuring Kevin Hart with a score of 6.91 (out of 10). Round out the top five was Heinz’s “Weiner Stampede” (6.64), Doritos’ “Ultrasound” (6.61) and “Doritos Dogs” (6.64), and Hyundai’s “Ryanville” (6.27).

As far as the audience who watched the Super Bowl in America and across the globe, only 34.7 percent of people said that the game itself is the most appealing/important factor for viewing. Around 23 percent of people don’t even watch the game, according to USA Today. For the 23 percent who watched the game itself, here are some interesting facts and records.

It was the first time in history that two number-one overall picks played against each other in the big game: Peyton Manning was selected first in 1998 and Cam Newton in 2011. According to CBS Sports, it was also the first time since Super XLI that two SEC quarterbacks went face-to-face, as Manning attended Tennessee and Newton went to Auburn (Super XLI featured Manning and Rex Grossman (Florida)). Manning is also the first quarterback in NFL history to win two Super Bowls with two different teams.

On a coaching note, both Ron Rivera (Carolina) and Gary Kubiak (Denver) replaced John Fox, the current Bears coach, as the team’s head coach.

Don’t forget about all the food that was consumed last Sunday. An average American watching the game ate 2,500 calories and everyone combined ate 1.3 billion wings and 11.2 million potato chips according to the National Chicken Council and Snack Food Association. That’s not a lot of food, right?

It was a day full of food, football, and fun that led to records being broken, commercials being watched, and major amounts of food eaten that made the next day a struggle to survive, let’s all agree on that.