Girls soccer crushes Lake Forest in second conference game

Student Fees for 2016-2017

Photo by Jarmaluk / Pixabay

For the 2016-2017 school year, the way families pay for their student’s fees at LHS will be organized differently.

In previous years, parents have paid a $160 basic fee, a $50 Chromebook fee, and an average of $45 in course fees. This totals to $255. For 2016-2017, parents will pay a $250 Basic Student Fee, according to Director of Communications, Mary Todoric.

The new basic fee is broken down as so: $115 for textbook rentals; $15 for the student newspaper (Drops of Ink); $5 for student IDs; $25 for PE towels and locks; $40 for course fees and $50 for the yearly Chromebook fee. The annual $50 Chromebook fee is now included in the Basic Fee. Students own their Chromebooks upon graduation because they pay $50 a year, totalling to $200 at the end of four years, which is the total cost of the Chromebook. If a senior wants to purchase their Chromebook, they would pay $150 at the end of this year. It costs a total of $200 for families.

There are other fees that students pay based on their interests or needs. These fees could include a parking pass for seniors ($130), Driver Education Fee for sophomores ($195), Athletic Fee ($40/most sports) and/or an Activity Pass ($75), which includes admission to athletic activities, some drama and music activities, and a discounted price for the yearbook, according to Todoric.

There are also some items not included in the Basic Student Fee that students need to pay for themselves. Students are responsible for purchasing their own calculators, PE uniforms, novels for English classes, Red Cross lifesaving certification (if applicable) and field trips, as needed. TI-84 calculators cost approximately $100, PE uniforms cost approximately $40, novels vary in price, Lifeguarding fees cost $85, and field trips vary depending on duration and intensity.

Compared to other local high schools, Libertyville has a lower fee, totaling to $690 per year with a basic fee, activity pass, athletic fee (per sport), parking fee, and Driver Ed Fee. Neighboring high school Lake Forest has a total fee of $2,194, and Stevenson High School has a total fee of $1,285, according to Todoric.