Rumors of a New Pool Flood LHS

Alex Zoellick
This field, behind the softball field and near the faculty parking lot, would provide enough space for a new aquatic facility.

The school board is currently deciding on whether or not a new pool will be built on the LHS campus: the likely verdict is that there will, infact, be a new pool and construction could begin within the next two years, according to District 128 Business Director, Ms. Yasmine Dada.

The current state of the new pool is unknown for now as the plan is still awaiting approval from the school board. According to Dada, the board seems to have accepted the idea of a new pool, though. Within the next three to four months, focus groups of parents, coaches and students will be put together for a final word on the pool, ultimately deciding if the pool will be built. If all goes as planned the $14 million project will be complete 18 months upon starting the renovations, according to Dada. This 18 month construction period could begin as soon as the focus groups end, so early February at the earliest. Although that outcome is highly unlikely.

The money for the pool has been taken from district funds over the past few years. It is the intent that little to no taxpayer money is used to fund the new pool, claims Dada.

Although the pool has had work done in the past few years, the old facility is struggling to keep up with competition and safety regulations. Two years ago, the pool was shut down for a brief period because the drains didn’t meet IHSA safety standards.

“LHS needs a need pool because the air ventilation is terrible,” said junior girls swimmer Jordan Rule while expressing her concerns for the current state of the pool. “The aquatic sports don’t have a sufficient training facility. Our swim teams cannot hold their own invitationals because our pool isn’t big enough, and for water polo, because the boys and girls season is at the same time, it’s difficult to schedule practice times.”

The first of multiple options for the new pool would be to build the new pool where the current pool is located. It would become more of an extensive renovation where the biggest obstacle would be finding a spot for all the pool activities during the renovations. Both the girls and boys swimming and water polo teams would need to be relocated during construction, as well as club swim teams, special olympic swim teams and swim lessons that all require pool time. The Vernon Hills pool would be a likely spot for these activities, stated Dada.

“I’m concerned about relocation for my water polo and swim season: transportation would be a hassle,” said junior boys swimmer Alex Kratcoski. “I hope the project is approved, but [I] realize it would come with many complications.”

The last spot being looked at is in front of the school on the knoll behind the varsity softball field, states Dada. This spot would provide for the most space, as it could be extended further toward the road. A structure here would likely act as a two story building: parking garage on the bottom with a pool on top.

The question that remains would be, what happens to the old pool? According to Dada, there are multiple possibilities for that as well. It could be converted into a wrestling gym, as the wrestlers are crammed down into one small room; a partial dance studio, for the poms team that has no real practice space, as well as the dance classes; or even just a third gym. All of these facilities could be used by the school so it is up in the air as to the outcome of this space.

View Comments (1)