The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest

Ctrl-ing our education?

The Miami Herald/Tribune News Service
The more we progress in our society technologically, the more our education will have to do the same.

Is there a moment in the day when we aren’t affected by technology? When it isn’t cooperating with us, it’s the end of the world! And that fateful moment you realize you forgot to charge your Chromebook overnight…we will all face that situation at least once in our high school careers. So with technology shaping the way the school and classroom operate, adapting is the only option; but is that a good idea?

There are pros and cons to everything in life. And the technology dependency we have in school is yet another example.

Many DOI staff members noted that they loved the fact that they don’t have to carry big, clunky textbooks from school to home and back, and from class to class. They also noted that new platforms like Pear Deck and Kahoot! make learning more fun and enjoyable. Not only do they benefit the students and their learning experience, but it also helps teachers keep their students alert and able to absorb the information, which means no more falling asleep in class. Email and social media connect teachers to students as well, which many DOI staff members said they enjoyed. Teachers and students can connect on a more personal level, which can help the students learn better.

With the plus side, there also is a downside. Our staff believed that it is easier now for things to get deleted and/or lost. Re-typing that essay you spent five hours on is not ideal, right? We believe it is frustrating when technology fails us. Students may rejoice when the Smart Board is unresponsive, but for teachers, it’s as annoying as your car not coming to life in the winter time. WHY WON’T IT TURN ON?! Lessons are then shortened and not all the information is taught, hampering the students’ learning experience. Our staff believes the distracting nature of a screen is also a concern. For teachers, it is vital for students to pay attention to the information that is being covered so that they then can do well in the class.

Pros and cons aside, the amount of technology in school that we use depends on us. Of course, we can’t stop technology from integrating into the curriculum, but instead of typing up those history notes in a Google Doc, it can be more beneficial to go old school and write them with a pen and paper, which is said to help you connect to the information you’re writing down better than if you were to type it. We think  that finding a balance is a way to combat how much technology controls our education.If ebooks work for you, great. If the good old textbook has you learning more efficiently, that’s okay too.

Our staff believes technology is society: it is around us at all times of the day, every day, and it’s only a matter of time when paper materials are phased out altogether. The process has already begun and there’s no way to stop it. Teaching styles will change, and already have, and students have to learn in different ways. However, we must keep this old saying in mind: “everything in moderation”.