Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 Hits Theaters Summer 2016

“Dead Men Tell No Tales” was originally supposed to hit theaters in 2015 but was pushed back to 2016.

In 2003, we met the famous Captain Jack Sparrow as he set sail to kill the much-hated Hector Barbossa after leaving him on a deserted island with only one gun containing one bullet. The saga continues in 2016, when we will be reunited once again with everyone’s favorite pirate. Not much has been said about the fifth installment except that the subtitle for the new movie will be “Dead Men Tell No Tales.”

“It was really unexpected news,” said sophomore Stefani Hancock upon hearing about the fifth pirate movie.

Grace Doan, another sophomore also had something to say about “Dead Men Tell No Tales.”

“I think it’s really exciting that there’s going to be another one! I can’t wait to see it!” she said.

The first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, “The Curse Of The Black Pearl,” follows a young man, William Turner (Orlando Bloom), and his unlikely pirate ally, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). Together, they must team up and battle the most dangerous and most feared pirates in the entire world, led by their captain, Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush). Captain Jack and Will must save Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightly) from the evil crew, as well as recover the lost treasure that Jack seeks. While fighting against immortal pirates, Turner and Sparrow must recapture Jack’s previous ship, The Black Pearl, save the British navy, and lift the curse of the pirates of the Caribbean.

In the second Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, “Dead Man’s Chest,” William Turner and Elizabeth Swann are to be married. However, this is interrupted when both are arrested for aiding in Captain Jack Sparrow’s escape from the British navy after he was sentenced to death in the end of the first movie for simply being a pirate. The new captain, Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander), will lift all charges if Will can hunt down Jack and bring him back to Beckett, along with Jack’s magic compass. However, Jack has other problems to deal with first. Years ago, he made a deal with Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), to be captain of The Black Pearl for 13 years. Time is up. His part of the deal was to give Davy Jones his soul. Once Will finds Jack, unaware of the current situation, Jack persuades Will onto Davy Jones’s ship, the Flying Dutchman, to retrieve a mysterious key. This key opens a hidden chest that contains Davy Jones’s heart. With it, one can control Davy Jones and his fearsome beast, The Kraken. Or one can kill the heart, thereby killing Davy Jones and becoming the immortal captain of The Flying Dutchmen. Once Will retrieves said key, Davy Jones is hot on his trail, now hunting down both Jack and Will. After the heart is in his possession, (or so he thought), Jack is no longer afraid of facing the deadly Davy Jones. Jack soon regrets his actions as Davy Jones sends The Kraken to attack The Black Pearl. Jack’s crew escapes leaving him to face the beast on his own. Jack makes his death a heroic one as he pulls out his sword, looks The Kraken dead in the eye, and leaps into its mouth.

The third Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, “At World’s End,” begins as Jack is rescued from the land of the dead (Davy Jones’s Locker). Now Jack, along with his crew, Elizabeth, and Will, must face Davy Jones and Cutler Beckett. As remembered in the previous film, Jack thought that he had Davy Jones’s heart but didn’t, as it was stolen from him by James Norrington (Jack Davenport), who used to work in the British navy. Norrington then gave the heart to Beckett. Now with control of Jones’s heart, Beckett takes over The Flying Dutchmen in order to rule the seas and wipe out the rest of the world’s pirates. Now Jack, his crew, Will, Elizabeth and Tia Dalma (Naomie Harris), must call the Pirate Lords from all over the world to gathering. The Pirate Lords plan to release the goddess Calypso, from the trap they sent her to many years before. They want to release her in hopes that she will help them fight. With this, all pirates will stand together and make their final stand for freedom against Davy Jones and Beckett. While in battle, none other than Captain Jack Sparrow finds the heart of Davy Jones and steals it. Sparrow plans on killing Jones himself, for he wants to be known as “The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow of The Flying Dutchman” but gives up his dream after Will is stabbed and is dying. The only way to save Will’s life would be for him to kill Jones instead. With Jack’s help, Will kills Jones and becomes the new captain of The Flying Dutchman. With Davy Jones now out of the way, The Flying Dutchman and The Black Pearl fight together to win the battle against the entire East India Trading Company.

In the final movie of The Pirates Of The Caribbean series (so far), “On Stranger Tides,” Captain Jack Sparrow is in London and escapes from soldiers that are chasing him for some unknown reason. Soon, he learns that an impostor is recruiting a crew and a vessel using his name. He meets the impersonator and finds that it is an old “friend” of his, Angelica Teach (Penélope Cruz). Jack is then knocked out and abducted by other pirates working with Angelica. When he awakes, he is aboard a sailing ship known as The Queen Anne’s Revenge. Angelica tells him that her father, Blackbeard (Ian McShane), needs to find the legendary Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth to save his life. They force Jack, who knows the location of the fountain, to guide them. Meanwhile, Hector Barbossa is hired by King George to lead the British crew and race against the Spaniards to find The Fountain Of Youth before they do. While the British think that Barbossa simply wants to find the fountain as much as they do, in reality, Barbossa’s only thought is finding Blackbeard and killing him. Blackbeard previously destroyed his crew and stole The Black Pearl. After Angelica and Blackbeard are both poisoned and dying, Jack must make a choice. In order for the Fountain of Youth to work, two people must drink from chalices that belonged to Ponce de Leon. One must contain the tear of a mermaid. Whoever drinks the one with the tear will take all of the years of life from the other person who drank that one without the tear. Jack must choose whether to let them both die, or save one of them. Knowing that Angelica would choose to save her evil father’s life and give her own, Jack tricks her into drinking from the chalice with the tear, saving her but also causing her hatred for him to only grow stronger.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is set to sail into theaters the summer of 2016.

View Comments (1)