Principal Dr. Koulentes stepping down, will take role of D128 Assistant Superintendent

DOI Archive
Dr. K started as the Principal on July 1, 2017 after previously working at Highland Park High School, and he will be serving his 7th and final year as the Principal of LHS. He will take the role of the D128 Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning starting with the 2024-25 school year. (Photo via DOI Archive)

On Feb. 22, 2024 Principal Dr. Thomas Koulentes announced that he will be stepping down as Principal and will take the role of the D128 Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning. He will finish the rest of the year at LHS and officially assume the new role on July 1st, 2024.
Dr. K first came to LHS in 2017 after working as a teacher and administrator at Highland Park High School since 1995.
“I cannot imagine a person more well-suited for this key district-wide leadership role, and look forward to his expanded impact across the district,” Dr. Denise Herrmann said in an email to parents and guardians. “We are fortunate to have such a high-quality internal candidate to assume this responsibility.”
While Dr. K views it as an exciting opportunity to continue to serve the school and District 128, his “heart feels so very heavy with sorrow” as his time serving as Principal is coming to an end, according to the email that he sent out to students.
For Dr. K, leaving behind the entirety of the school will “undoubtedly be the most difficult part of [his] transition.” He is grateful for students, teachers, staff, parents and community members at LHS for believing in him and helping make the school the best it can be. He will always cherish the memories that he’s made with the school and learning the “true meaning of Wildcat pride,” such as “learning alongside each other in classrooms” and “marching down Main Street in the Homecoming Parade.”
Dr. K has made a considerable impact on the school in terms of leadership, dedication, decisions and a passion for education.
“He has been instrumental in fostering a positive and equity-focused learning environment at LHS, empowering both students and staff to strive for excellence and personal growth,” Dr. Herrmann said in her email.
Despite the fact that it’s challenging for Dr. K to say goodbye to the school, he ultimately finds comfort in the fact the change is necessary for the growth of the school.
“As my chapter at LHS concludes,” Dr. K said in his email, “I feel fortunate that my new responsibilities serving in our District 128 Administrative office will keep me closely connected to all the great work that is yet to come.”
In the meantime, District 128 Administration has appointed an interim Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning, Dr. Brian Wegley, a retired superintendent of Northbrook/Glenview School District 30. He will serve until Dr. K officially assumes the position.

View Comments (1)