Girls basketball secures win over Mundelein

The team achieved a 51-18 win on senior night
Alex Clark
Senior Maddy Kopala (42) looks for an open teammate to pass to as two Mundelein players guard her. Kopala has also recently committed to play soccer at the collegiate level.

On Wednesday, Feb. 7, the varsity girls basketball team won against the Mundelein Mustangs with a score of 51-18. It was senior night and the last home game of the season.

The team started ahead in the first quarter and their lead lasted through to the end of the game. Mundelein didn’t score at all during the third quarter.

It’s clear that the team’s victory was driven by their deep connection with one another.

“We’ve learned to mesh with each other better and work as a team instead of just doing everything by ourselves,” senior Rachel Rule (32) said. “Especially this year, I think our team dynamic is just amazing.”

As the season comes to an end, the team’s four seniors, Rachel Rule, Kate Rule (24), Maddy Kopala (42) and Lily Flader (14) echo that the team’s bond and traditions made the sport extremely successful. They all are leaving the team bittersweet. 

“It was a really special night for me and the three other seniors and it was just really fun to be out there,” Kate Rule said. “We all had a lot of energy and were looking forward to this game.”

Both Kate and Rachel were able to play on the team all four years. While team dynamics have been good throughout their basketball career, according to Kate, “especially this year, we’re all close.”

“We all kind of know each other’s strengths and know where to put the ball and when we play,” she said. “It’s just been really fun because they’re all great teammates, and we all know each other well.”

Senior Lily Flader encouraged underclassmen on the team to “just be yourself, try your best, always go out there 110%”

“You never know when it’s going to be your last time or you never know when that moment is gonna go away,” she said. 

Lily is a division one commit to Michigan State University for rowing.

Even though senior Maddy Kopala is committed to play soccer in college, basketball has played a major role in her life as a multi-sport athlete.

“I am who I am because I play soccer and basketball and nobody should be discouraged from that,” Kopala said. “No matter what anybody says, just keep being you and sticking to what you know because it will differentiate yourself from other people.”

The team went on to beat the New Trier Trevians on Thursday, Feb. 8, with an away score of 62-44, ending the regular season with a 26-5 record. The Wildcats will play next in the postseason at the IHSA Fox Lake Regional Feb. 12 against the Grant Community High School Bulldogs.

“It was such a fun night to get to play with my teammates and I hope our season doesn’t stop here,” Flader said.