Girls basketball season comes to a close following super-sectional loss to Loyola

Team finishes as first sectional champions since 1994
Senior Kate Rule (24) takes the ball down the court, trailed by Loyola senior Paige Engels (33) and sophomore Clare Weasler (10). Despite playing the final game of her high school career, Rule still hopes to see the team continue to display “great team spirit and energy. I think that’s something that’s so vital and so important to this program.”

On Monday, Feb. 26, the girls varsity basketball team finished their season with a 53-44 loss to the Loyola Academy Ramblers in the Class 4A super-sectional round.
For the first time since 1994, the girls team were sectional champions, closing out the McHenry sectional with a 51-35 win over the Hononegah Community Indians. Their spot in the final eight secured, the team played on their home court against the Ramblers, ranked first in the state according to MaxPreps, in a tense game for both teams.
Junior Madison Sears (55) won the tipoff for the Wildcats and senior Rachel Rule (32) scored the first four points for the home team and the game, consisting of a two-point basket and two free throws. Two more free throws by her sister, senior Kate Rule (24), a basket by freshman Lily Fisher (3) and strong defense from senior Maddy Kopala (42) enabled Libertyville an early 8-0 lead.
“There isn’t another team I’d rather do this with,” Rachel Rule said. “I love everyone on this team and I’m so proud of what we’ve accomplished this year.”
It wasn’t until just over halfway through the first quarter that the Ramblers got on the board, following a successful two-point shot from sophomore Marycait Mackie (23). Loyola stepped up their offense and began scoring more through the end of the first quarter, which came to an end with Libertyville holding a 10-9 lead.
“I just enjoyed the fight that all of us played with,” Rachel Rule, a guard, said. “We got off to a hot start and then they came back strong. I just really enjoyed the way we fought back and the game was a whole battle.”
Loyola Academy took their first lead at the start of the second quarter with two points from junior Aubrey Galvan (3). This kicked off multiple lead changes throughout the second half, which ended with the Ramblers up 22-18.
Head Coach Greg Pedersen, who has been in the role of girls varsity head coach for 12 years, said a highlight of the game was “definitely watching Kate, Rachel and Maddy. Just watching them do it together. They give everything that they’ve got. [I’m] just going to miss them.”
Fisher, as a starter, created multiple opportunities for points in the third quarter. Fisher, a guard for the team, said she most enjoyed “the energy, the atmosphere, playing in it.”
Fisher, the only freshman on the varsity team, also said that a goal for next season is for her to “become more of a leader, step up and just get back here.”
Libertyville closed the gap to three points during the third quarter, trailing 28-25. Two free throws from Kate Rule were the last points for Libertyville in the quarter, with Loyola ultimately up 34-25.
“We played with 100% effort,” Kate Rule said. “There’s nothing left of us. We tried so incredibly hard and I’m just so proud of us. We left everything on our home floor.”
The Ramblers kept their lead throughout the entirety of the fourth quarter. Libertyville, however, fought to stay in the game, with 19 points put up from multiple scorers, including Kate and Rachel Rule and junior guard Sophia Cesnovar (4). The last few seconds ran off the clock to give Loyola Academy the 53-44 win over the home team.
Kate Rule, who has been playing since kindergarten, finished her high school career saying that she has “had four great years, four great years of teammates. I couldn’t have asked for better people to spend my four years of high school with. I mean, just the bond I’ve had with every single person on this team and the three teams before, it’s something that I’ll always remember.”