Fall Band concert kicks off 2023-24 Fine and Performing Arts Season

Mr. Adam Gohr conducts the symphonic winds . The band played “Legends of the Galaxy” by Chandler Wilson and “Joy Revised” by Frank Ticheli. Mr. Gohr said that they “have a lot of fun doing what [they] do.” Gohr has been in charge of the band for 26 years, 11 of which are at LHS.
Ash Magalhaes

Music flowed from the Butler Lake Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 21, 2023, as the Percussion Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Winds and Wind Ensemble performed at the Fall Band Concert.

The band thrilled the audience with an array of works, starting with the cheerful “Seaside Stroll” and concluding with the majestic “First Suite in E flat,” a timeless piece by English composer Gustav Holst that is over a century old.

“It is a very early time in the year, but the students have done a great job preparing for [the performance],” Mr. Adam Gohr, director of bands, stated. “It’s a testament to their hard work that they’re able to put something on stage that’s performance ready at the end of the sixth week of classes.”

Behind this feat was a plethora of synergy and dedication, given the band had only six weeks to not only prepare for the concert itself, but to forge connections  ,between the new underclassmen and returning band members.

Synergy characterizes the music department, and the Fall Band Concert was no exception. “My peers around me are definitely very motivating,” junior Dakota Olsen said. “When I come to band every day they’re always there. When they practice their parts, [it] makes me want to practice my part too so we can put it all together.”

Olson has been playing the flute since fourth grade, and has continued to do so throughout middle and high school.

Some pieces featured in the concert included “Dragonfly” by Katahj Copley and “Joy Revisited” by Frank Ticheli. “Dragonfly,”  a dramatic, fast-paced piece performed by the Wind Ensemble, is based on the work of Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi, famous for his musical scores used in many Studio Ghibli productions, such as “Spirited Away.”

The wind ensemble beautifully plays “Dragonfly” by Katahj Copley. Soloist sophomore Anna Garripo, who has been playing the alto saxophone since fourth grade said “I was actually really nervous for my solo,” Garripo said. “But I did it in the end.”
(Ash Magalhaes)

As the name suggests, “Joy Revisited” is a softer, lighthearted piece that was performed by the Symphonic Winds, and is a more complex version of Ticheli’s earlier piece, “Joy.” The composition highlights the flourishing uplift happiness provides.

Senior Cameron Huang was motivated by his peers and the collective ambition to strive for the best. “I think surrounding myself with other students who were equally passionate about music [helped me do well in band],” he stated.

Huang is the president of the Band Board and has been involved with music since he played the piano as a kindergartner; he started playing the euphonium in fourth grade. “As a senior, I hope to give back to my community and make sure everyone has a great time,” Huang said. He hopes to continue playing music as an extracurricular after graduating high school.

The band has another performance on Thursday, Nov. 16, at 7:30 p.m. in the main gym.