Writer’s Week

Writers Week,  a four-day event where students and published authors share their written work, will begin the week after spring break on March 31.

Students will share poems, short-stories, songs, and other written work, and published authors will share their experiences on being a professional.

“There’s a lot of students that have things going on or have feelings that are hard to express… It’s great to see students share what they wouldn’t usually share,” said Mrs. Mary Kate Schoenbeck, one of the three main organizers of Writers Week.

Mrs. Schoenbeck, a Freshman Literature and Composition and American Literature Co-taught teacher, has helped organize Writers Week for the past couple of years.

“I love managing the show, I feel like I’m in my prime when I do,” said Mrs. Schoenbeck.

Writers Week first came to LHS a few years back, when Principal Dr. Marina Scott had seen the idea at other schools, including her then-high school Fremd.

“I never had a Writers Week at my high school. However, I’ve noticed that it is now spreading to many different high schools,” said Mrs. Schoenbeck.

Writers Week has since flourished here at LHS, and the group of writers gets larger every year. However, when Writers Week starts, the students feel the most pressure.

“You’re definitely going to be nervous come Writers Week,” said senior Anna Serafini, a poet participating in Writers Week. “Bring water, find someone in the crowd, and go with the flow. Be comfortable on stage.”

Throughout Writers Week, many students feel the pressure of trying to impress their fellow students and trying to get other students engaged in what they’re sharing.

“There’s a lot of students who have a lot of things going on and I know it’s hard to get up there and share that…Just be brave. Put yourself out there. Students often surprise themselves,” Mrs. Schoenbeck said on student nervousness.

During Writers Week, many English teachers take their classes to listen to students perform and authors give speeches. Students can also listen to Writers Week participants during lunch or any other free periods they have.

Writers Week has become a well-respected event at LHS. “We have lots of support from the English teachers here at LHS as well as some other teachers from different departments. It’s grown familiar to everyone,” said Mrs. Schoenbeck.

“A lot of teachers will let you go if it’s really important to you,” said senior Sharon Li, a singer/songwriter participating in Writers Week this year who has been a part of Writers Week for the last two years.

To join, students can speak to the Writers Week advisors, Mrs. Schoenbeck, Mr. Craig Schmidt, or Ms. Dyan Naslund, about participating in Writers Week or the Writers Club. “Students can either email or contact us in person about submitting their work to Writers Week or the Club. We wouldn’t turn down anyone!” said Mrs. Schoenbeck.