Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

The Walking Dead Is Going Downhill

“The Walking Dead” is about a sheriff who was shot while on the job and later was in a coma while the zombie apocalypse began. After awaking from this coma, Rick Grimes had to find his way back to his family and survive the walkers and other survivors who may want to kill him or anyone in his group. I have been watching The Walking Dead for almost a year now and I’ve loved it since day one. The first season was fantastic along with the second, when the group’s only problem was the walkers that roamed the world, looking for survivors to kill and eat. At the end of the second season, the farm that Rick and his group were staying in burned to the ground with walkers surrounding the fire. It was incredibly hard for the group to escape the flames and the walkers at the same time, which wasn’t just stressful on the characters, but on us, the viewers, as well.

All I was used to while watching this show was the walkers being pretty much the only problem that this group came across. It was very good this way and focused a lot on the characters’ developments throughout the apocalypse, which was the main reason that I watched the show. It was very interesting seeing how these characters reacted to their lack of electronics, and other things that might be very common without zombies walking around everywhere trying to kill them. The barn catching on fire was one of the very first things that I witnessed being a major problem to the group other than the walkers. It came as a big surprise to me when this happened because all I was expecting was more walkers driving them away. I honestly didn’t like the fact that they decided to set the barn on fire because I just liked the idea of zombies being their only problem. But, okay, fine, it wasn’t too bad. One out of the ordinary thing would be okay, I guess.

Season three, however, is where I think that The Walking Dead really started to go downhill. The Governor was an okay problem for them in the beginning when they first knew of his presence, but after multiple threats, fights, and kidnappings caused by him, I just felt that it was too much. The Governor was the leader of a town called, “Woodbury”. He seemed like a pretty good guy until decided to kidnap two characters from the prison group. Battling the walkers and The Governor? It was getting kind of annoying after a while, if you ask me. The Governor problem just seemed to go on and on and there was no room for character development, which was something that I was really into at the time. I mean seriously! Pretty much every episode had a great introduction, but then someone does something stupid, then there’s The Governor, then they kill some walkers, then it’s The Governor again, and then the show ends with another cliffhanger that makes me want to watch the next episode. It simply just doesn’t make sense to me that they should make anything a bigger problem than the walkers. The show is called “The Walking Dead,” not “The Threatening Governor”!

Anyway, before the break, The Governor was finally killed off and so were all of his men. The prison that Rick’s group was staying in exploded and somewhat burned to the ground. Now, that is a lot of burning down of stuff, but the farm and the prison were not the only things burnt down. Back when The Governor was still alive, he decided to burn down Woodbury, a town he was the governor of, hence his name. Now I really hope that this is not going to become a regular thing with this show. They find a place to live, they make it really happy there, someone tries to kill them, walkers everywhere, home burnt to the ground, repeat.

Anyway, after The Governor dies and the group scatters, we find that Glenn, a character that has been around since day one, when he saved Rick from a herd of walkers, is still at the prison, unconscious, with walkers surrounding him. He then wakes up, and takes whatever supplies are left from the prison, puts on some riot gear, and charges out into the sea of walkers. On his way out, he sees one of The Governor’s people, Tara, enclosed within a small cage of fences. He proceeds to save her and they both head out.

Once out of the Prison gates, (or what was left of it), Glenn collapses after taking out some walkers and we are introduced to some new characters that we have never seen before. Now, of course, I was happy with the Governor dying, but what may come to a surprise is that I was also happy that the prison went down. I didn’t like it very much because it constantly took away from the battle of walkers on a regular basis. When the group had the prison, the only time we would see them killing walkers would be when they went on supply runs, which was way too packed with way too many walkers. It almost seemed as if the writers took all of the walkers that the group might battle regularly if they didn’t have the protection of the prison, and through all of those walkers in at once whenever a character stepped foot outside of the Prison. It was just way too many walkers within one scene.

So now we got rid of The Governor and the group is out in the wilderness on their own once again (yay!), but not for long because of these new characters that were just introduced two episodes after The Governor died! I mean seriously can we, the viewers, just take a couple more episodes to process? I guess not because the writers really wanted these new characters in the show ASAP.

Overall, the show is pretty good. I still watch it because I simply just want to know what happens with my favorite character, Daryl Dixon, a redneck that first appeared in season one in the episode, “Tell It To The Frogs”. I am actually almost certain that this show would have little to no viewers if Daryl Dixon wasn’t created for the show, considering the fact that he wasn’t a character in the comic books. Honestly, if Daryl Dixon were to be killed off the show, I wouldn’t watch it anymore. If this were season one or two and he were to die back then, I would have continued because at the time I didn’t feel that Daryl Dixon was essential to keep viewers watching, but now I feel that if he dies, the show dies along with him. From what I’ve seen so far, The Walking Dead is somewhat going downhill, but I am really hoping that it will be picked up again soon.