BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout

Gluten Free: Fad Diet or Healthy Lifestyle Living?

According to market-research company The NDP Group, nearly 30% of adults in America want to cut down or eliminate gluten from their diet. With all sorts of health benefits being thrown around by the media concerning the new food trend, such as weight loss and increased energy, it’s no wonder that more and more people wish to live their lives sans gluten. But physicians now worry that getting rid of gluten unnecessarily may have its repercussions.

The medical reason why certain individuals follow a gluten-free diet is Celiac disease, which affects about 1 in 100 people worldwide. Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disorder that damages the small intestine.

When a person with Celiac disease eats gluten—a protein found in wheat,barley, and rye products—the immune system responds by producing antibodies that attack the villi of the small intestine. The villi are small, finger-like projections that line the wall of the intestine and are responsible for nutrient absorption into the bloodstream. The antibodies cause enough damage to the villi so that nutrients can no longer be absorbed.

When left untreated, Celiac disease can lead to an array of long-term health problems, including malnourishment, anemia, osteoporosis, and even gastrointestinal cancer. Currently, the only treatment for Celiac disease is to adhere to a strict gluten-free diet.

For LHS senior Mariah Lee, being gluten-free has been a part of her lifestyle for as long as she can remember. “My family has [Celiac disease]. My parents found out they had it when I was a baby, and then they tested me for it.”

Roughly 1.8 million Americans live gluten-free due to Celiac disease. However, popularization from the media and celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Elizabeth Hesselbeck, and even Miley Cyrus has caused nearly 1.6 million to join the gluten-free bandwagon without a diagnosis. Such celebrity endorsers have claimed increased energy, improved mood, and the real biggie—weight loss. And the American public has taken their claims to heart. But those who choose to go gluten-free without a medical need may not see much benefit, and could potentially cause harm.

“You can eat a healthy diet without gluten, but you have to be very knowledgeable, and most people aren’t,” said dietician Katherine Tallmadge in an interview with Scientific American.

Those who choose to go gluten-free may feel better because, in order to avoid gluten, they cut out desserts and junk food, thus resulting in weight loss. “They mistakenly attribute that to their gluten free decision,” Tallmadge said.

Furthermore, gluten-free products tend to be nutritionally deficient compared to whole grains (which contain gluten) because they are made with refined grains, which are low in fiber and nutrients. Studies have shown that gluten-free diets can be deficient in iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and zinc, if not closely worked with a dietician or physician.