BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout

Blast from the Past

Attending Paynesville High School in Minnesota, Mr. Brenner considered himself a good student.  Some of us LHS students may look back on our high school years and might think the opposite of ourselves, but he was smart.  “I was a math nerd back in high school.  Does that make me sound cocky?” Brenner stated.  His favorite classes back in the day were physics and calculus, which explained why he was on the math team.  Finishing school every day, he had track and cross country to keep him occupied along with an intramural bowling team.    Students at Brenner’s high school would often call him up if there was any homework or tests that they needed help on. “I had more girlfriends the day before a math test than you could shake a stick at,” Brenner likes to say.

Back in high school, Mr. Duffy went from being a new kid in town to settling in perfectly by his sophomore and junior years.  Mr. Duffy attended Lake Forest High School and along with that came orchestra, choir, and the acting club.  Track and cross country were Mr. Duffy’s main sports, and he ran an 11.2 second 100-meter dash.  School came very easily to Mr. Duffy except for the math portion of it.  Asked if he was a geek or jock, Mr. Duffy answered, “Are you kidding me?!  Geek, all the way!  I embraced my inner nerd at a young age, and stopped caring about what other people thought of me and the company I kept about sophomore year.”

A Wildcat at heart, Mrs. Monken went to our very own Libertyville High School.  “Teachers would tell you that I was shy and quiet,” Monken said.  “I didn’t raise my hand that much.”   She was very active and played four years of basketball and softball as well.  Some of her friends considered her a“screwball” back in high school as well.  One day, all of her girlfriends locked her in the glass trophy case down by the boys locker room in the main hallway.  So now every time you walk past that one trophy case, you can enjoy a few laughs.

Mr. Kreutz started off as a three-sport athlete at his high school, Salem Central in Paddock Lake, kruetz1Wisconsin.  He played football, basketball, and baseball.  He also tried out for the swing choir group, but that took a turn for the worst.  “The basketball head coach met me in the hall, after hearing in the announcements that I had made the group, and told me he didn’t want any choir boys on his varsity team.  I fought it all the way to the school board and won but even in victory I lost as the coach caught up with me again and told me, ‘Go and tryout, I will even keep you on the team, but you will never see the court,’”  Kreutz stated.  But, when one door closes, another one opens.  He was the captain of the varsity football team and during his second semester of his senior year, the head coach at Carthage College saw Kreutz playing and asked him to come play for Carthage’s football team, so he took the opportunity and seized it.

The high school that Ms. Hyla attended was Lane Technical High School in Chicago.  Her brother and sister would say she was a great student, was very involved, and got good grades.  Swimming, volleyball, and softball were the main sports she participated in and at one point, she was the captain of her swimming team.   Now we all have those embarrassing moments in high school, whether you trip in the cafeteria or maybe you fall asleep in class, but this one story that Ms. Hyla shared is icing on the cake:  “The first week of school my freshman year, I was wearing a baby-doll dress that was really popular at the time.  It crept up my backpack without me noticing and I made it down the long hallway exposing my underwear to the entire school.  Luckily I recovered from that moment,” Hyla said.