George Legan and Emily Regan receive good citizen award

Photo Courtesy of Jennifer Lund; collage created by Katie Felsl

George Legan and Emily Regan are this year’s Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution award winners. Both recipients display great leadership, as stated by their teachers.

In mid-October, seniors George Legan and Emily Regan received a pass to the College Resource Center. There, they were informed that they had won the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) and Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)  Good Citizen Awards, respectively.

Legan and Regan did not apply for this achievement. Instead, they were nominated by the LHS staff and then had to complete a few more steps. Regan “was familiar with the award because [she knew] Jenna El Ghatit got it last year and [she] really respect[s] her,” said Regan.

The DAR Good Citizen Award is given to “individuals who possess the qualities of dependability, service, leadership, and patriotism in their homes, schools, and communities,” according to the DAR website.

One of the steps needed to be completed to receive the award was that Regan had to write a timed, two-hour essay with the prompt “How has America advanced the cause of freedom around the world?” with no access to technology. “I had to do some other stuff like extracurriculars, service, and other biographical stuff. Then, I had to explain … what community service meant the most to me and how I have displayed the DAR qualities like [character, service,] citizenship and patriotism throughout my daily life,” said Regan.

During the second week of January, Regan received a letter back from DAR informing her that she had advanced to the next level of the award and received the DAR Ansel Brainerd Cook Chapter; this chapter serves the Libertyville-Mundelein-Vernon Hills area. She will attend a ceremony in February to receive her award.

At each level of the awards, there is opportunity for scholarships; although Regan hasn’t received any yet, she expressed, “It’s not about the money for me. I’m just happy [that] …  I was recognized by teachers for this.”

Regan is greatly involved in the community, both inside and outside LHS. “She is student body president this year and has led efforts to raise thousands of dollars for local charities at various philanthropic events, produced weekly video segments to alert the student body of community happenings, and increased student patronage of lesser-known sporting and arts events,” reported a 2017 edition of ePawPrints, the district’s weekly email newsletter.

She has also contributed to many underage drinking coalitions in Lake County, served as a student representative on the 2016-2017 District 128 Board of Education, been captain of the Debate Team, founder of the Junior State of America Club, member of Advocats and a member of Model United Nations.

Regan will be attending Washington University in St. Louis in the fall to study political science; she eventually intends to receive a law degree.

As for Legan’s recognition, “The SAR Good Citizen Award was described as an award that focuses on patriotism, outstanding citizenship qualities, and respect for the United States and its symbols,” according to a previous DOI article.

Legan is seen as a respectable student with a good work ethic. In the earlier edition of ePawPrints, Adam Gohr, Libertyville High School’s band director, said, “[Legan] always has an eye turned outward [to his section and the rest of the band] instead of being concerned only with himself. He’s one of the hardest working kids we’ve got and we rely on him everyday.”

Legan is involved in band, Wind Ensemble, Robotics, Science Olympiad, National Honors Society, Libertyville Boys Scout Troop 71 and volunteers monthly at a mobile food pantry at First Presbyterian Church. He did not respond to requests to be interviewed for this article.

This fall, Legan plans to study mechanical and aerospace engineering at an undecided location.