BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout
Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

My Experience With ADHD

Hold on, let me focus for a second while I write this.  Over the years, I’ve found that focusing can be extremely hard sometimes, even when I am on my medication.   And towards the end of the day, when the medication starts wearing off, forget about it.

When I take my medication, which is Concerta, a form of Methylphenidate, in the morning, I’m usually good for getting through school.  That isn’t to say that I can get through with perfect focus.  I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions of taking ADHD medication.   

Many people believe that when you are on the medication, everything is all perfectly zoned in and the user can achieve virtually anything.  Personally, I can’t tell the difference of when I’m on and off my medication.  However, I’ve been told that people around me can tell the difference.  

When I don’t take my medication, I occasionally find myself saying completely random things all the time and grabbing everything in sight.  When I do take my medication, I am much more collected and able to control myself.  

Since about third grade, I have been taking the medication I am currently on, constantly changing doses as I grow.  The hardest part of having ADHD is the struggle of completing homework at the end of the day when my medication is beginning to wear off.  It can be incredibly difficult to power through homework while keeping myself from checking on every little thing that comes to mind.  

My biggest struggle is constantly checking my phone, checking online grades, checking the weather, checking Instagram, checking Twitter, checking Facebook, and every other thing that randomly pops into my head.

Occasionally, I will make the decision to not take my medication. This most often occurs on the weekends. On days like these, I must be conscious of when I am getting too out of control because I have to make sure I maintain a reasonable composure.  

Another less-than-thrilling feature that comes with the magical, mystical pills, which seem to hone all of my attentive skills, is an unfortunate string attached: the annoying doctor visits. If it were up to me, these visits, which occur every three months, would simply be a call on the phone, but for seemingly unknown reasons, I am forced to show up in the office every three months.

Each visit, (did I mention every three months?) consists of me confirming the doctor’s suspicions that I am indeed feeling well, that school is going fine, and my reply to how the current dosage of pills is treating me. Upon my replies to these three simple questions, I am sent on my way with my prescription refilled. A quite-easy process, which is why I can’t see why it couldn’t be done on the phone.  

Despite these “hardships,” I have made it my lifelong goal to never let my ADHD hold me back.  I try to co-exist with everyone despite the fact that academics and schoolwork come a bit harder to me. This is why I take pride in the grades I receive and my accomplishments throughout life. ADHD may be a disability, but it’s one that will never get me down.