Dr. Albin replaces Dr. K as the new principal for the 2024 school year

After seven years as principal, Dr. Thomas Koulentes is retiring from Libertyville High School and becoming the D128 Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning. After being the Associate Principal for Teaching and Learning since 2011, Dr. Ray Albin will take Dr. K’s role as principal of LHS. 

“The information came out to our staff, as well as all [of] the students and parents at Libertyville High School [on Friday, April 19th],” Dr. Albin said. “I started getting teachers and colleagues from all across the building sending me texts, sending me emails. I had people running down to see me, parents calling, all just offering congratulations to me, and how they [all] appreciated that I was the choice [for the next principal] and how happy they were for both myself as well as for LHS.”

Dr. K is a special person to Dr. Albin as well as LHS, and, for him, he feels he left his paw print here.

“I hope to carry on some of the great things that he has done and started,” Dr.  Albin said. “I [also] hope to be the type of leader that he is, someone who is kind, listens and values everyone’s point of view.”

Libertyville High School is an important place to Dr. Albin and he hopes students feel the same connection that he feels as they transition from freshman year in August to when they’re a senior, four years later in May.

“[My hope is that], at some point in the future, many years down the line when they are a successful individual, they look back and believe that some of their success began during their experiences at LHS,” Dr. Albin said.

For 25 years, Dr. Albin has been a teacher, a data coach, a school improvement coordinator and an associate principal. Throughout his job experience, he has learned about understanding each of their complexities. While being principal is a completely new role for him, as associate principal he’s been around Dr. K and has experienced the job second hand.

“I think to be a principal first and foremost, you need a lot of different experiences…working with students in the classroom, in activities and athletics,” Dr. Albin said. “I think [my experience] has helped me get to know our students and know some of the things that they are working on [and] get to know our teachers again, as a colleague in the classroom.”

As Dr. Albin transitions into this higher role as principal, he’s excited to continue to build his relationships with students and staff, from his first graduating senior class of 2025 to his first incoming freshmen class of 2028. 

“I think building relationships have helped me because school is more than just [a student’s education],” Dr. Albin said. “It’s about understanding the people in the school, the students and the teachers and working with their parents who [have] a pretty trusting relationship with the [LHS] because they’re… [trusting the school to] not only to care for them but also to educate them, to broaden their experiences [and] their understanding of the world as they get as they get older.”

It’s going to be a learning curve for Dr. Albin as he transitions into his new role as principal next year. He recognizes that he’s going to make mistakes, but feels that this will help him to become a better principal for LHS in the long run.

“I am excited to be the next principal at Libertyville High School,” Dr. Albin said. “I really look forward to working with the Wildcats.”