Middle school students join LHS choirs for the annual Fall Choral Festival

Choir students from, Highland, Rondout and Oak Grove joined the LHS Choirs as they performed their last two songs, “SING” by Pentatonix and “Hey Jude” by The Beatles. The combined ensemble was conducted by Dr. Paul Nielsen, a music educator at the middle school, high school and university level for over 30 years. Dr. Nielsen worked with this combined group during the day, when middle schoolers arrived for the annual festival. “We spent all day trying to get everything to be performance ready for tonight,” Dr. Nielsen said. “First and foremost, [our goal was] to have a whole lot of fun.”
Aarna Mishra

On Nov. 2, 2023, students from LHS’s feeder schools, Highland, Oak Grove and Rondout, arrived at the high school for the annual Fall Choral Festival. The event was followed by a concert later that evening in the Butler Lake Auditorium.
“It was a very good day, a lot of energy, a lot of good vibes,” Dr. Jeffrey Brown, the choir director, said.
As this festival is a long-standing tradition, Dr. Brown has been inviting guest conductors to work with both the middle school and high school groups. This year, Dr. Paul Nielsen conducted four songs including “Hey Jude” by the Beatles and “Sisi Ni Moja” by Jacob Narverud.
“I thought [this morning] was a blast,” Dr. Nielsen said. “I had such a great time here. It was so much fun. The kids are great to work with.”
Along with Dr. Brown and Dr. Nielsen, the middle school directors have spent the last few months preparing for this concert.
“It was really a great opportunity for the middle school students to connect with each other and connect with the high school students,” Ms. Anna Ausmann, Rondout School’s choir director, said. “[Students got to] meet Dr. Brown and just see what this is all about.”
Another unique part of this concert was the grand reveal of the Spring Break 2025 trip to… Sicily, Italy! Upon hearing the news, the crowd of high school students, middle school students, parents and other spectators broke into a round of applause. Pending board approval, anyone enrolled in Dance II, Dance III or any choir class will be eligible to participate in this group trip.
Overall, the middle school teachers viewed high school choir as a positive experience.
“You can be a part of something bigger than yourself,” Mr. Logan Ferris, the Oak Grove Choir Director, said. “You can make a big school feel smaller.”
Dr. Brown feels that choir and its program at LHS provides unique opportunities and benefits for all students, especially at this moment.
“I feel like right now, in the general population of the school, being in choir or being in a singing group is looked down on as a negative thing,” Dr. Brown said. “That’s not the case. Singing is something that can be uplifting. It can give you a sense of joy, a sense of peace. I think that’s really special.”
All of the high school choirs will perform at their annual Choral Holiday Festival on Dec. 12, 2023 at the Butler Lake Auditorium.

View Comments (1)