Girls volleyball secures a ‘tough and scrappy’ 2-0 victory over Evanston

Grace Jackman
Sophomore Avery Maddux (23) slams a spike across the net to her opponents, with senior Jaimie Marquardt (12) backing her up.

On Thursday, August 31, 2023, the Libertyville girls varsity volleyball team faced the Evanston Wildkits in the west gym. The Wildkits, coming off losses to the Loyola Academy Ramblers and Mundelein Mustangs, fought hard, but Libertyville ultimately won the night with a two-set victory.
The game was special because it was honoring the LHS Green Dot program, which seeks to reduce violence such as bullying and sexual assault. Libertyville students cheered on their team wearing different shades of green.
Evanston started out strong with an early 6-2 lead. Ultimately, the Wildcats caught up and the teams were soon tied 6-6. Halfway through the first set, the Wildcats gained their momentum and gradually attacked the Wildkits.
The team faced a huge turning point when the Wildcats were up 17-11.
“We had scrambled all over the place and went back and forth over the net a couple of times, and then we ended up winning on a kill,” said Mr. Greg Loika, the team’s head coach. “It gave a lot of momentum for the rest of the first set.”
The Wildcats eventually won the first set 25-17.
Going into the second set, momentum was on Libertyville’s side, allowing the team to work on some of their skills while showcasing others.
“I thought our passing was excellent today,” Loika said. “When we pass well, we can attack from any location. So I thought today that was especially true, but that’s something we’re working on everyday: being tough and scrappy.”
Libertyville’s skill and resourcefulness allowed them to pull away from Evanston a second time.
“We were able to run a lot of balls in the middle and I was able to get a lot more kills,” said senior Lily Evans (21).
After a vigorous fight, the Wildcats ultimately won the second set 25-12, owing to many contributing factors.
“We have to be smart with the ball and spread out the block on the other side,” Loika said. “I thought we did that well tonight. You can’t necessarily get yourself taller than you are, but when we control all the other aspects of the game, that can be a pretty dynamic offense.”
There’s something that every team can work on, and senior Hannah Fleming (17) felt that, for the Wildcats, it was their “defense crossing in the back row trying to stay low and on our toes.”
As the season progresses, Loika hopes the team continues to stay strong.
“If we play like we did today, continually, every single night, I think we’ll be in good shape,” Loika said. “I think sometimes how you work through the tough moments and play hard [is] when teams are giving you their best shot and putting you in a tough spot.”