Filed under Sports, Winter

Wildcats overwhelm Eagles in non-conference matchup

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wildcats Lauren Huber, Madeline Spaulding, Margaret Buchert, Abigail Frea, and Lydia Crow wait for the second half tip-off.

Ben Mayo

Ben Mayo

Ben Mayo

On teacher appreciation night this past Tuesday, Jan. 15, the girls basketball team won a crucial non-conference game against Lakes, 61-32.

Last week, the Wildcats lost two important games to conference rivals Lake Forest and Zion-Benton. But with their past two wins against Lakes and Grayslake North, the team is hopeful for a long playoff run.

“We’re just trying to stack games and get wins under our belt,” said senior and team captain  Madeline Spaulding.

The first quarter saw immediate success, as the Wildcats put up a quick 18 points, 11 of which were scored by junior point guard Margaret Buchert. Libertyville assumed the upper hand early, the game (while exciting) was carefully paced. The Cats’ use of passing the ball on offense was a big contributor to their success in the game.

Likewise, the second quarter saw more success. Seven points from junior Lydia Crow helped lead the Wildcats to a 21-point quarter. The Wildcats’ defense was also showcased. Steals from sophomore Marianna Morrissey and Buchert helped the team hold the Eagles to only four points in the second quarter. The score was 39-14 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Libertyville maintained the lead. The quarter saw the most equal matchup in the game, with the Wildcats putting up 16 points while their opponents increased their score by 15. The final quarter was low-scoring, and the game ended with a score of 61-32.

As the season begins to wind down, it gets closer to the time when the seniors take to the court for the last time.

“I’ve been enjoying every moment, knowing it’s going to be my last [year],” Spaulding said.

Assistant Coach Amy Holtsford is retiring from her teaching position this year but said she expects to remain coaching for at least two more years. She added about this year’s seniors, “…I’ve watched them develop for about 10 years. It’s a little nostalgic to watch them walk out the door, but it’s rewarding.”

The Wildcats, neck and neck with Zion-Benton for first place in the conference, look forward to gaining more success before the postseason. They play Dundee-Crown away on Saturday, Jan. 19, and have an important conference game at Stevenson next Tuesday, Jan. 22.