Filed under Sports, Winter

Boys varsity bowling falls to Lake Zurich in regular season match

On Tuesday, Nov. 14, LHS boys bowling played a home match at Lakeside Lanes against Lake Zurich; the Bears won the match with a score of 2,937 pins to 2,770 pins.

Although Libertyville won two of the three individual games, Lake Zurich had more total pins in the match. Libertyville lost the first game by 195 pins, won the second game by three pins and won the third game by 25 pins.

Although the varsity roster is subject to change, on Tuesday, there were six varsity members. These included sophomores Nick Fermento and Alex Nelson, juniors Henry Kolterman and Bryce Pinsel (who did not play), and seniors Daniel Kaputa and Charlie Morris. IHSA bowling calls for one series of three games with five players per team. The games do not determine the winner but rather the number of pins the team collectively knocks down.

Morris, who is also a senior captain of the team, believed that the team lost due to not picking up spares.

“We lost because [of] single-pin spares. We have to work on [those] some more, but there wasn’t a moment when I thought we were gonna lose; we kept fighting the entire game, and I’m extremely proud of my teammates,” Morris said. “We did it as a team and not individuals.”

Nelson has been a significant and valuable player this season for the varsity team. During the match, Nelson scored a 236, 201, and 259 in his games, respectively, finishing with a series of 696, the 10th-highest in school history. This past Saturday, Nelson threw a 277 at the Lake Park Invite.

“He is literally rewriting the record books,” Assistant Coach Kevin Gorrell said. “This year alone, he has two of the top 10 series and three of the top 10 games [in LHS history].”

The next boys varsity match will be away on Wednesday, Nov. 15, vs. Warren. The boys are back home next Tuesday, Nov. 21, at Lakeside Lanes in Mundelein.