Dancing to their Destiny

A+lift+being+executed+in+Megan+Wolter%27s+%22Skin%22.+
A lift being executed in Megan Wolter's

A lift being executed in Megan Wolter's "Skin".

Breezy Listman

Breezy Listman

Breezy Listman, Staff Writer

Each year, a handful of dancers at LHS get together and create performances to represent themselves through dance, as part of Orchesis, whose shows were last Thursday, May 11, and Friday, May 12.

This year’s show theme was “Destiny.” The theme correlates to the idea that there are many different students with many different dance backgrounds, such as theater, dance team and studio dancers, but they all come together in a fluid dance to express themselves.The quote used this year to fully get their idea of destiny across was, “There’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be,” from John Lennon.

The Orchesis season started in February and ended with the show earlier this month. Countless hours of work and dedication were put into these performances. Some dancers were in only one or two dances, but there were others in five or six dances.

I am most proud of having such a passionate and talented group of dancers from diverse dance backgrounds and interests come together and support each other,” stated Orchesis director Mrs. Eryn Brown, over an interview via email.

This year’s shows were spectacular. The dancers, music and lighting conveyed the mood of each piece and the audience could see just how much time and effort the dancers put into the show.

With the help of Mrs. Brown, many different student choreographers were able to express themselves through their dances. They had other dancers accompany them or sometimes weren’t even in their own dances.

Of the 25 dances performed, 23 were student-choreographed. Of those 23, the one that stood out to me the most was “Skin” by junior Megan Wolter. The intensity and flow of the music and movements created a scene that my eyes were drawn to and never came off.

“What I love about Orchesis is the production week,” stated Wolter in an interview over text. “We get to see the show really come together. It feels really rewarding.”

The dancers and their performances were uniquely their own and came together in a harmonious fashion to convey many different emotions to the audience.