The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest

Thank You, LHS

A note of thanks to LHS before I graduate.
Tanner Dorow
The scenic Libertyville High School campus is visible to many driving down Route 176.

I can still remember my very first day of high school at Libertyville.  My first class, first football game, first final, first buff chick, and first summer break.  

And now here we are, four years later.  So, while many seniors are counting down the days until they get to escape “this hell hole,” I have decided to take the opposite route.  I would like to take the time to thank Libertyville High School for all of the opportunities it has presented me.  

When I first got to LHS, I barely knew anybody.  Coming from Hawthorn Middle School North, I only knew five other people.  I would be wrong if I did not thank all of the friendly people at LHS who opened up to me and allowed me to become friends with them.  Without these kind people, my four years here could have easily been miserable.  

To the teachers of LHS, thank you for all the hard work you do.  I can honestly say that I felt personal connections with certain teachers here. My teachers weren’t just people in my life who were working a job they could care less about.  Many of the teachers at Libertyville genuinely care about their students.  So to the ones who care about us students, thank you, and know that your interest in our lives is both recognized and appreciated.  To understand the things that we may be going through on any given day, and to be able to deal with us even on days that we may not want to be at school, is a true testament to your patience and passion while teaching us.

To Libertyville High School, thank you for giving your students a wide variety of classes to choose from.  When I first decided that I wanted to pursue a career in journalism, I was so thankful that I could begin to take journalism classes in my own school and receive credit for them, all before I got to college!  

In talking with other journalism-bound students from across the country, I’ve discovered that not many schools have a system like Libertyville’s where students can write on the newspaper and learn about journalism, all while still in high school.  The opportunity to be on the Drops of Ink staff has been one of the most fun experiences of my high school career, and I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to learn valuable lessons about the history and structure of how journalism works.  

Being on staff has also allowed me to improve my communication skills while working with others, which is probably the most important skill set that my generation needs before we go into the workplace.  Teamwork and communication are two skills that you cannot work without. My entire learning experience with DOI would not have been possible without LHS allowing the newspaper to operate the way that it does.  Because I was able to be a member of DOI, I can confidently say that I will be ahead of my peers when I get to college and begin my journalism classes.  My only regret is that I did not join DOI sooner.

Finally, thank you to the town of Libertyville.  The relationship between Libertyville High School and the town is one that cannot easily be found.  It is evident that there is a clear, caring relationship between the community of LHS and the community of Libertyville.  Throughout the football season, I was approached by multiple strangers while I was wearing football apparel who congratulated me on the season we were having.  The same can be said for all other sports as well.  When the town of Libertyville decides to support something, whatever that may be, the support is felt throughout the community, and there is no holding back.  Of all the things I will miss while at college, the town, people, and sense of community throughout Libertyville will definitely be the things I will miss the most.  

So to every single person who I have interacted with at Libertyville High School and in the town of Libertyville, all I can say is thank you.  Thank you for making my childhood an amazing time, and thank you for supporting myself and my peers to the fullest in everything we have done.  To everyone who has so much as smiled at me in a hallway, made my day a better one, or gone out of their way to help me out, thank you.  

To the town of Libertyville and Libertyville High School, thank you for everything you have done for me.  

Much love,

Tanner Dorow