Introducing the 2016-17 Student Council Executive Board

April 7, 2016

From March 14-16, LHS freshmen, sophomores, and juniors were given the opportunity to vote for who they deemed fit for the 2016-17 Student Council Executive Board. According to Student Council advisor Mrs. Andrea Lara, results were based upon both popular vote and candidate’s interview with the Student Council faculty advisors. Official titles for next year’s Exec Board have yet to be assigned. 

Note: In order to get this story out as soon as possible, all of these interviews were done over email. 2016-17 Executive Board members in this story are listed in no particular order.

Also a current sophomore, Haley Holson is looking forward to this new opportunity to lead and contribute new ideas to not only the Student Council, but LHS as a whole. She would like to promote more excitement and spirit among all grades to create a more memorable and enjoyable year for all. Holson also wants to open up new philanthropic opportunities to give back to the community and get students involved.
Photo courtesy of Hayley Holson
Current sophomore Emily Regan will also be a part of the 2016-17 Exec Board. She said she would like to thank everyone who voted for her. Next year, Regan hopes to create an app for LHS students that allows them to check in, based on location, at sporting events and music events. By checking in, students would be able to get points based on their attendance and potentially win prizes. Regan also wants to create a tailgate the Friday morning before homecoming where LHS students can paint themselves and get spirited for their class’s theme.
Photo courtesy of Emily Regan
Junior Zachary Pearson is looking forward to being a part of next year’s Executive Board. Pearson said he hopes to give his all to help LHS continue to grow as both a community and a school. Because next year is the 100th graduating class, Pearson said he is excited to see what the future Exec Board will do to make it an amazing year.
Photo courtesy of Zach Pearson
Junior and Drops of Ink staff writer Alo Garcia-Escobar (on left) will be joining the Exec Board again for the second year. Garcia-Escobar is looking forward to forming strong relationships with both the StuCo advisors and his board, and overall being able to work together during his last year at LHS. Although Garcia-Escobar does not have a clear image of what will happen on board next year, he said he knows for sure that both the student section and dances will be amazing and LHS students will have plenty of chances to give back to the community.
Photo courtesy of Alo Garcia-Escobar
Along with Tran and Garcia-Escobar, junior Daniel Oh will also be returning to the 2016-17 Exec Board. Oh is looking forward to working with his new team, along with reaching out to the community and improving his leadership skills. In regards to projects, Oh’s plans include hyping up students more for dances, football games, and the annual canned food drive. He is also planning to reach out to more local charities and promote them throughout the year at LHS.
Photo courtesy of Daniel Oh
Sophomore and Drops of Ink staff writer Maria Thames hopes to gain better communication skills, create a connection with the LHS student body as a whole, and acquire a better understanding of what happens behind the scenes of planning various StuCo events. Thames also expressed how excited and privileged she was to have this opportunity, along with how thrilled she is to work with the rest of the Executive Board.
Photo courtesy of Maria Thames
Current junior Kien Tran will be a part of the Student Council Exec Board for a second time in the 2016-17 year. Tran’s main goal is to make every student at LHS proud to say that they attend “the greatest high school in the world.” Although he is unsure about what next year has in store, Tran is looking to build off of successes that this year’s Exec Board has had -- such as the weekly Wake Up Wildcats that developed this year -- and potentially raise the bar higher.
Current junior Kien Tran will be a part of the Student Council Exec Board for a second time in the 2016-17 year. Tran’s main goal is to make every student at LHS proud to say that they attend “the greatest high school in the world.” Although he is unsure about what next year has in store, Tran is looking to build off of successes that this year’s Exec Board has had — such as the weekly Wake Up Wildcats that developed this year — and potentially raise the bar higher.
Sophomore Bridget Horvath said she is looking forward to uniting the students of LHS and creating a welcoming environment for everyone regardless of their background. Additionally, Horvath wants to increase schoolwide volunteering events, school spirit, and encourage more interaction between students at LHS and VHHS through activities such as an open mic nights and team trivia nights.
Photo via PowerSchool