‘Batman vs Superman’ in over its head?

Zack Snyder releases his most hyped movie yet, hoping the battle between Batman and Superman can become top of the charts.
Photo courtesy of youtube

Yes there are spoilers, so be prepareed!

With the many reviews already out for “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice”, they are unfortunately all or mostly negative. With the character casting and amazing plot twists scattered throughout the movie, you would think it’s a recipe for a great movie. In my eyes, it was a good movie with a fair amount of surprises, but it also included some low parts that I didn’t believe were necessary.

With Bruce Wayne being portrayed by THE Ben Affleck, Twitter was mostly filled with, “What happened to Christian Bale?” and the well-known hashtag, #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck. So THE Ben Affleck wasn’t a favorite for the movie…but why?

Well, with Bale already starring in multiple Batman movies, you would think DC would give the Batman Specialist a lead role. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case, and that may be due to the isolationism of the Dark Knight trilogy. It may also be because Ben Affleck will be known as the comic book Batman who stayed within the realm of Gotham. But as the director stated himself, the Christian Bale Batman doesn’t exist outside his own world. So to introduce a Batman that isn’t the biggest and best hero within the universe would just not be right. This I can understand.

Then we get to Wonder Woman; yes, Wonder Woman makes an appearance. The questions is: why so late within the movie? Gal Gadot stars as the first Wonder Woman we’ve seen in awhile. But, her role is limited to a final fight scene, which takes an elapsed time of just under 25 minutes, which in a two-and-a-half hour movie, isn’t a lot. I feel the director didn’t want to push Wonder Woman as hard because she will have a very big role within the next movie.  She also plays a part in hinting towards another movie, which could be semi-interesting. This could be a good, maybe even better follow-up to “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice”

Going into this movie, I expected fighting, fighting, and then more fighting between the two main protagonists, Batman and Superman. Instead, I got Superman fighting while Batman gets infuriated by the fact that he isn’t doing the saving and destroying. So from then on, the movie had not much except a bomb going off and a few quarrels up until Batman and Superman actually began fighting.

Let me give you a few cons. The fighting starts initially because Batman has a little case of jealousy of Superman, but for the fighting to actually begin, all it took was Lex Luthor (the main antagonist) to kidnap Superman’s mother! And it’s weird, even with super speed and laser eyes, Superman couldn’t have just flown over to the building his mother was in, in the same amount of time it would take for Lex Luthor to call in on his tiny radio to tell the gunman to kill her.

The fighting could have been avoided and hey, you never know, the movie could have been just two hours instead of another 30 that could have been easily avoided. Now, Batman and Superman actually do end up fighting and don’t get me wrong, it was a whole lot of explosions and blow-up this and shoot that. But the weirdest part occured to me when Superman shot lasers out of his eyes to blow up a machine gun…Batman is no god of any sort. He has a metal suit but guns are made out of metal, right? And lasers? Those things are hot, and they will obliterate anything that stands in their way.

Now there may be reasoning for this, but with all of the talk throughout the movie about Superman being a “God,” I don’t understand how, close to the end of their fight, Batman is, for lack of better wording, winning.

While all this time, Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg (who did a great job in portraying the twitchy character Luthor is), is growing a giant super monster! You heard right— Doomsday is back and is one of the only characters to match Superman’s strength. He didn’t survive the night but he did play a vital role in the movie, as he indeed led Superman to risking his own life to save the world.
So, how does this movie live up to its name? Many famous critic sites gave scattered ratings, such as Rotten Tomatoes (which gave the movie a 29 percent) and Imdb (7.5/10). I believe the action scenes were well thought-out, and the casting of the characters was semi-poorly placed, “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice” gets a strong 7/10 in my book. If you’re into minimal fighting, Ben Affleck, and the occasional pop-out scene, then this may just be the movie for you.