Boys water polo seizes senior night success over Highland Park
Boys volleyball comes up just short against Carmel Corsairs
Which Woman of History Do You Resemble the Most?

Things to do in October

Didier+Farms+offers+a+Farmstand%2C+which+includes+a+variety+of+fresh+produce+and+currently+has+its+annual+Pumpkinfest%2C+which+can+be+a+great%2C+free+way+to+get+outside.+
Photo from Flickr
Didier Farms offers a “Farmstand,” which includes a variety of fresh produce and currently has its annual “Pumpkinfest,” which can be a great, free way to get outside.

When October comes around, we all know that means haunted houses and apple picking. Here is a list, featuring information found from Chicago Events 12, of the most exciting, scary events that Chicago (and its nearby suburbs) have to offer around Halloween. Happy Haunting!

FREE

October 23-31- Navy Pier movie showings:

Friday (Oct. 23) 5:30 “Beetlejuice”, 8:00 “The Shining”

Saturday(Oct. 24) 5:30 “Hocus Pocus”, 8:00 “The Lost Boys”

Friday (Oct. 30) 5:30 “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” , “8:00 Psycho”

Saturday (Oct. 31) 5:30 “Casper”, 8:00 “Carrie”

Also on the 31st, Navy Pier will be setting off festive fireworks.

Another option is to go apple picking or pumpkin picking at places such as Didier Farms, Heinz Orchard, or Kroll’s Farm. Though this is a common activity around this time of year, it is still a alternate option to sitting at home, and a great way to get outside while we still can!

Costs ($ low -$$$ high price)

$- “Shadows on the Street” is a haunted tour through historic Prairie Avenue. $10 per person, Friday, Oct. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 31, tours at 7:00 p.m. and 8:15. (1800 S. Prairie Ave, Chicago)

$- “Skelebration” Teen Halloween: Food trucks, DJs, arcade, and unexpected surprises throughout the night. $10 per person, located at Redmoon, 2120 S. Jefferson St., Chicago, on Oct. 30, from 7-11 p.m..

$$- “Disturbia Screams In the Park”: A Rosemont haunted house that has 35 rooms full of thrill. Open Oct. 23-24 and 30-31  from 7 p.m. – midnight and Oct. 25, 27-29 from 7-11 p.m., and Nov. 1 from 7-11 p.m. (5501 Park Place, Rosemont)

$$- “Basement of the Dead” in Aurora is an underground basement-themed haunted house, based on a murder story that happened in the underground sewers of a laundry company. Every Friday in October, it is open from 7-11 p.m., every Saturday from 6-11 p.m., and Sunday from  7-10 p.m. (42 W. New York St., Aurora)

$$- “Statesville Haunted Prison” in Lockport is a prison-themed haunted house with 23 cells to walk through, followed by a walk into the caves and mines called “City of the Dead.” Though it is a little pricey ($30 per person) it lasts from 40-50 minutes and has more than  40 detailed rooms. (17250 S. Weber Road, Crest Hill)

$$- House of Torment Chicago is a haunted house based on Hollywood cinematic horror 2movies, featuring “Contagium,” a half-alien, half-human domination-themed attraction. The other attraction is “The Abandoned,” which is based on an abandoned school that has condemned souls roaming through the halls. (8240 N. Austin Ave., Morton Grove)

$$$ Haunted Segway Tours: Even though these segway tours are on the pricey side ($65 per person), they offer a tour to see unusual attractions.  Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours offers an evening segway tour, lasting two hours, which visits haunted sites throughout Chicago, such as a haunted theater, morgue, haunted Fort Dearborn, Death Alley, and Al Capone’s haunted yacht. Book a tour at www.chicagosegways.com, and prepare to be truly haunted while gliding through the city.