The Future of The Tribe

Libertyville band, The Tribe will open up for Ike Reilly Assassination on June 29.
Photo Courtesy of The Tribe

In March 2012, the Libertyville-made band The Tribe made its debut as the Gophers.  Now, more than three years later, they are older, more experienced, and in the process of recording their first album.

The Tribe, an indie rock band, is composed of current LHS students Bob Crandell (18), Max Niemann (18), Jake Chatfield (17), along with older brother and LHS graduate, Lloyd Chatfield (19).

“Generally, our music can be compared to bands like Pavement, Built to Spill, and Real Estate,” Niemann stated.

According to Niemann, the bandmates met on a vacation and have been good friends ever since.

“Bob, Lloyd and Jake all met while on vacation in Michigan when Bob moved from New Hampshire to Libertyville. A few years later, [I] met Bob and Jake playing [Libertyville Boys Club] football. When [we] decided to form a band, [we] all played guitar, but Bob had a drum kit so he became the drummer,” he explained.

Over the past three years, the band has played gigs everywhere from Lake Minear to the House of Blues in Chicago.

“Our favorite place to play is Cook Park during Libertyville Days, but our favorite show was probably at the House of Blues. It’s really cool to see a lot of our friends come out to see us play in the city,” shared Niemann.

The Tribe poses for a picture with Ike Reilly and Tom Morello at their first show in downtown Libertyville.  From left to right: Ike Reilly, Lloyd Chatfield, Bob Crandell, Tom Morello, Jake Chatfield, and Max Niemann
Photo Courtesy of The Tribe
The Tribe poses for a picture with Ike Reilly and Tom Morello at their first show in downtown Libertyville. From left to right: Ike Reilly, Lloyd Chatfield, Bob Crandell, Tom Morello, Jake Chatfield, and Max Niemann.

Since the band’s birth, there have only been a few small changes, apart from the group’s name itself.

“The only change in the band’s roster was in late 2012 when Bob moved to bass and Sam Muchmore filled in on drums,” Niemann stated.  “Besides that, we’ve all developed as musicians individually and as a group.”

“When we started, we mostly played covers, but now we play almost all originals,” he added.

Currently, they are working on finishing their first album, “Familiar Shapes,” which is near completion.

In February of this year, they released two singles off the album titled “Crash” and “Nobody Girl” on their official SoundCloud page.

While they are speaking with a few record companies, they are unsure of how the album will be released.

Their next show (which will be for all ages) takes place at local restaurant and bar Mickey Finn’s Brewery on Monday, June 29, where they will open up for the Ike Reilly Assassination “Born On Fire” (the title of their latest album) Show, according to www.brownpapertickets.com.  “Ike & the Assassination [will] Play Libertyville for one special hometown show,” states the website.

The Tribe has opened for The Ike Reilly Assassination on multiple occasions and according to the band, Libertyville-born legend Reilly himself has played a special role in the band’s progress.

“We’ve all known him for most of our lives and he’s always strongly supported the band. He brought Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine) to our first show and was an essential figure in the recording of our upcoming album,” shared Niemann.  “Last winter he even had us open for his band at the Double Door in Chicago… We’re all big fans of The Ike Reilly Assassination hence his music has influenced us.”

They have even recorded at Reilly’s studio in his house.

The Tribe practices at Ike Reilly's studio.
Photo Courtesy of The Tribe
The Tribe practices at Ike Reilly’s studio.

According to www.brownpapertickets.com, doors will open at 6 p.m. on June 29. The Tribe will begin at 8, followed by IRA at 9.

“We all usually get pretty nervous before a show, but once we see our friends in the crowd and start playing, it’s just fun,” voiced Niemann.

Tickets can be purchased at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1644600 for $20 (general admission) or at $35, which includes a special meet-and-greet with Reilly and the band, according to the site.

While the future of The Tribe is uncertain with the departure of three of the four members to college, they “hope to continue playing together in the future,” Niemann said.