Pitch Perfect 2 “Crushed It”

The Pitch Perfect 2 movie poster features all of the girls who play the Barden Bellas.
Wikipedia
The “Pitch Perfect 2” movie poster features all of the girls who play the Barden Bellas.

Beca (Anna Kendrick), Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson), and the rest of the original Barden Bellas are back, joined by the newest Bella legend, Emily (Hailee Steinfeld), and all new competitors, Das Sound Machine, in an aca-mazing sequel to the 2012 MTV Movie Award-winning, “Pitch Perfect.”

“Pitch Perfect 2”, released on May 15, consists of all the things that fans loved from the first movie. From the humorous, catchy phrases, to mash-ups of recently released, popular songs, as Fat Amy would say, they “crushed it.”

The movie opens with an acapella performance hosted for President Obama and the first family. The Barden Bellas’ performance is bound to be a train-wreck from the opening few lines of the song, but nobody is expecting the embarrassing wardrobe malfunction that Fat Amy runs into while dancing on stage. Because of this malfunction, the Bellas are suspended from the U.S. acapella establishment.

The only way the girls are able to get back into the organization is if they win the Acapella World Championship. With Becca beginning an internship for a record label, a new member of the Bellas, and all-new rivals Das Sound Machine from Germany, the girls are completely full of many new adventures.

Beca finally has her big break working with music producers, but she is working as an intern. When listening to Snoop Dogg record a song, Beca makes a suggestion to her head producer that could possibly change the rest of her music career.

Emily, a freshman at Barden University, and daughter of a former Bella, goes for her lifelong dream to become a Bella herself, following in her mother’s footsteps. After performing for all of the Bellas, aside from Beca, she is accepted by the girls and officially becomes a Barden Bella.

The Bellas, joined by their newest member, journey to the World Championship in an attempt to make their way back into the acapella organization at a national level. They run into pain, love, and adventure. The not-so-beloved Bumper, returning from his journey to fame from the first movie to work as a campus security guard, and Fat Amy seemed to have a recurring love interest throughout the first movie, and they finally declare their love for each other in the second, with a dramatic musical number.

The girls find themselves in the midst of yet another acapella sing-off, consisting of both old and new competition, and they end up in a face-off up against Das Sound Machine, for the first of many times. Though they are humiliated during this scene of the movie, the girls attempt to make their comeback at the acapella world competition and plan to outperform Das Sound Machine.

Though I don’t believe that the second movie lived up to my expectations based off of the first, “Pitch Perfect 2” is, overall, a must-see for any film-lovers or fans of the first movie!