BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout
Boys lacrosse bests Wheaton North with 12-3 victory

The Case for: 2015 Chicago Playoff Baseball

As a die-hard White Sox fan, I have to give some credit to the Chicago Cubs; they’re doing it the right way.

General manager Theo Epstein, after being hired in October 2011, knew that the team he just overtook was not going anywhere–and why would he think otherwise? Underperforming players like Aramis Ramirez and Darwin Barney were getting countless at-bats, and manager Mike Quade did little to turn the embarrassment around on the north side. So, Epstein decided to clean house.

With the help of a few high draft picks and multiple trades with teams around the league, Epstein replaced end-of-career players with young, up-and-coming talent to develop in the minor leagues. As the years went on, more players gained vital experience with some fortunate enough to get major league at-bats.

Infielder Javier Baez, drafted in the 2011 draft, will get his shot at a full season starting at second base this year. Other talented, explosive players ready to leave a mark in the major leagues include power-hitting third baseman Kris Bryant, as well as outfielders Junior Lake, Jorge Soler, and Arismendy Alcantra. These longtime minor leaguers will look to make an impact in the 2015 season.

Adding to the potential depth of the 2015 squad, Epstein went out and signed Jon Lester to a whopping 6-year, $155 million deal. The southpaw will add consistent innings per start, as well as an intriguing 1-2 punch with right-hander Jake Arrieta at the top of the rotation.

“I know they have made a lot of moves, so who knows? This might be the year,” stated senior Cubs fan Izzy Banna.

Leading the Cubs this year will be veteran manager Joe Maddon. Maddon, the longtime manager of the Tampa Bay Rays, brings an all-business attitude, making sure his players are accountable for the actions. In 2011, Maddon benched former Rays’ stars B.J. upton for not running out a ground ball during the game. These types of expectations and discipline will be beneficial for the youthful Cubs squad.

A 2015 playoff run may be in sight, but another year of experience will be essential for a 2016 World Series run.

On the South Side, GM Rick Hahn has been a busy man this winter.

Because of the White Sox’s left-handed pitching depth in Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, John Danks and recently-drafted Carlos Rodon, Hahn went out and snagged right-handed ace Jeff Samardzija from the Oakland Athletics. According to ESPN Chicago, the ace is expected to make between $9 and $10 million in the 2015 season. Samardzija’s experience, attitude and eliteness will help fuel the starting rotation. As of now, the most probable opening day rotation will be Sale, Samardzija, Quintana, Danks and Hector Noesi. Rodon will most likely start the season in the minors and wait for a midseason call-up.

The White Sox had one of the worst bullpens in the major leagues, posting a third-worst 4.38 ERA last season. Hahn addressed this issue by signing closer Davis Robertson to a 4-year, $48 million deal. Robertson recorded 39 saves with the Yankees last year and will likely take over the same role in Chicago.

“I mean, I couldn’t even name you our closer last year,” stated senior White Sox fan Elliot Cote. “I just want to forget about every part from last year; it was horrible.”

Offensively, Hahn knew that the White Sox offense lacked consistency last year, so he started by making a move on power-hitting left-hander Adam LaRoche. Hoping for a better performance than the last time the Sox acquired a Washington National (Adam Dunn), LaRoche should add power and RBIs batting behind one of the league’s best hitters in Jose Abreu.

Filling a much-needed hole, Hahn signed versatile Melky Cabrera to a three-year, $42 million deal to bat second in the lineup. This move presents more RBI opportunities for the new-and-improved heart of the White Sox order. Abreu, coming off his 36 home run, 107 RBI campaign, will have more chances to drive in both Cabrera and savvy leadoff hitter Adam Eaton.

Overall, the White Sox were the winners in the offseason–the Cubs, a close second. Their moves made sense and filled holes that presented the White Sox with problems last year. Now, the Sox will have to lean on manager Robin Ventura to ensure a successful season.

Limited injuries and strong management will make fans believe that a pennant will soon be in sight for the South Siders.