Sweet Dreams

Note: A picture that was included with this story when it was originally posted has been removed.

The average person spends around six years of their life dreaming, as stated in the Myers’ Psychology For AP book. But these dreams aren’t always positive ones. Many people confuse dreams with reality because they are so vivid or realistic.

“I have those days where it’s like déjà vu, but I never know if it was a dream or it actually did happen,” said junior Kelsey Ziemnisky.

There are many factors in dreaming. One important factor is sensory stimuli in our sleeping environment. This means that any particular sounds or odors can be intertwined into your dream story, states the Myers’ Psychology For AP book.

“Sometimes when my alarm clock goes off in the morning, I can hear it in my dream,” said sophomore Annie Obereiner.

Dreams commonly incorporate traces of past experiences or feelings, but most people have trouble remembering them. Typically, a person even forgets the five minutes before they fall asleep.

“I only remember some of my dreams. Mostly the ones that repeat themselves or that have more emotional meaning to them,” said Ziemnisky.

Understanding your dreams is a very beneficial way to better your relationships and yourself, according to the dream website Dream Moods. Dreams are hard to decipher and are unique to every person.

“I think it’s important to understand your dreams because it can tell you future insights and what’s to come,” said junior Kelsey Schweiger.

With the help from Dream Moods and Dream Visions, two dream explanation sites, DOI will help you better understand what common occurrences in dreams really mean so that you’re  better prepared for what life may throw you next.

1. Being Chased

Being chased is one of the most common dreams because it’s remembered so vividly. It may not necessarily mean you fear being chased, but you’re running from something in your everyday life. It helps to understand what you are running from to address the real thing you’re hiding from.

1. Water

Dreams with water should never be overlooked. They explain emotions that are sometimes hard to find. Depending on the type of water in the dream, it could mean many different things. Ask yourself questions like, “Was the water clear or cloudy? Rough or calm?” These questions can tell you more about what the water represents in your dreams. If the water is rough, it may mean you are in a bad place. If the water is calm, it normally means you are at peace with yourself.

1. Vehicles

When vehicles are presented in a dream, it predicts the direction your life is taking.  The vehicle could tell you if you have control over your life or not. If you’re driving the car then you are taking an active role in the way your life is going. However, if you are the passenger, then you are taking a passive role.

1. People

Seeing people in your dreams may not mean you are thinking about them. It normally means you see an aspect of yourself in them. It could tell you what you need to work on in everyday life.

1. Classroom/ School

When your dream is located in a classroom or at school, it could be related to testing. If you fail a test or can’t remember anything during the test, it could relate to real life and how you must take a test you aren’t prepared for. You don’t have to be in school to have this dream.

1. Paralysis

If you feel becoming paralyzed in your sleep, it may not be just a dream. Sleep paralysis is a form of atonia or muscle weakness that prevents you from moving. If this occurs, it normally means you feel you don’t have control over your life.

1. Death

If you dream about death, it may not necessarily mean something negative. It may symbolize the ending of one event in your life and the transition to the next. This could also be a sign of moving on.

1. Falling

If you experience falling in your dream and you wake up after, it could mean you have a realization in your everyday life. It may also relate to the fear of abandonment.