Spamalot to Hit the LHS Stage

The LHS Theatre Department will put on “Monty Python’s Spamalot” as its fall musical starring Jane Recker as the Lady of the Lake and John Lester as King Arthur, the musical is Nov. 6-9 at 7:30 each night.

“Spamalot” is a comical take on the classic story of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table and their quest for the Holy Grail, only instead of being filled with epic adventures, it is marked by Pythonian comedy. The ridiculous humor is over-the-top; though many people see the show as inappropriate, it is meant to be so ridiculous that it is funny.

“It is done in the style of Monty Python. Which is a very farcical, comedic style that is very specific to the British style of humor,” said Mr. Christopher Thomas, the faculty director of the musical. “There are some major lyrics changes as well prop and costume alterations in order to make it appropriate for the high school stage. Python-style humor isn’t meant to offend people; it is meant to make things seem ridiculous. So even though there are swear words in the show, and there are sexual innuendos, hopefully our audience won’t be offended and instead will see how it is highlighting the ridiculousness of the situations.”

The musical is different from other shows LHS has run in the past for largely one reason: the musical is pure comedy. It is not meant to be funny with a romantic plot, like “Legally Blonde,” which the school ran in fall 2012. Nor is it a serious drama like“Fiddler on the Roof” was is the fall of 2013.

“It is just a really fun show,” said senior Stage Manager Emmalee Berger. “It is not the most serious. You aren’t going to go home and think about the way the universe works, but you are probably going to go home with a smile on your face.”

Many LHS students loved Monty Python growing up, so it’s no secret that the show will be a hit.

“It is so different to see your peers up on stage making these absolutely terrific jokes. It is so different than anything we have done,” said sophomore Zach Pearson, who plays Sir Robin, a coward who signs onto the round table for the singing and dancing. “I have talked to a lot of my friends and they love ‘Spamalot.’ They love Monty Python. It is nice that it plays to the interests that the students have.”

Since Monty Python has been so popular, especially with high schoolers, the cast is expecting a large turnout. Tickets will be sold for $4 to students and $5 to adults.  Many people have prior connections to the show, they grew up watching other versions of “Spamalot,” and will want to see it done in another way.

“This has probably been my favorite or second favorite show. I have so much connection to it, I grew up on Monty Python,” said sophomore Joe Sullivan, who plays the French Taunter. He further explained that other students with similar connections would love the show for the same reason.

During the third period announcement last week, Pearson used the word “Jews” to describe the show. When take out of context, this can be offensive, but it is just a classic example of Pythonian comedy.

“Sir Robin has an obsession with musical theatre and in the second act, he sings a song titled ‘You Won’t Succeed on Broadway if You Don’t Have Any Jews,’” said Pearson as he described one of those over-the-top ridiculous scenes. “It is not being detrimental to the Jewish population. It is just a stereotype of Jewish people being involved in musical theatre and film. It is sort of paying homage to that.”

The cast and crew have been working tirelessly on the production since August, when the auditions took place. Since then, there has been rehearsal every day after school until about 5-6 p.m., and sometimes as late as 8:30 when it is closer to opening curtain. Cast and crew also have to put in twelve hours working on the set, something that Mr. Thomas thinks has been well worth the time.

“All of the technical elements, the costumes, the props and the set, are very demanding for this show because they are very specific and there are so many pieces,” said Mr. Thomas. “For example, there are over 200 costumes in the show. There are a lot of different drops [backgrounds] in this show. There are a lot of different sets that are used for gags, which I am not going to give away in the article. It is not that one piece is particularly exciting; they are all used to address the comedy of the show.”