BREAKING NEWS: Students gather to address Israel-Palestine conflict in walkout

LHS Security Improvements to be completed throughout the year

As a result of their long-term safety improvement goals, LHS security has implemented new precautionary changes around the school to ensure safety amongst students and staff.

The changes, which started at the beginning of summer vacation, include a new-look Studio Theatre entrance, where LHS security is headquartered during the day. The reconfigured area now includes a larger security desk with more office space and bulletproof glass.

Students may have also noticed the new desk at the front entrance of the school, adjacent to the other, still viable, security desk that greets students everyday. The new desk was removed last week because it was not the style security wanted. According to head security supervisor Mr. Mike Dolan, a new desk will be arriving in the next couple of weeks to replace the familiar head security desk in the front.

Eventually both the Studio Theatre entrance and main entrance will be a buzz-in system, where visitors will be asked to state their business before they can be allowed to enter the building. If a parent wishes to drop off a book, lunch, or forgotten item a student left behind, security will take the item to the respective student’s LST. Mr. Dolan noted that the system should be in full function by the end of the calendar year.

“The goal is to limit the amount of foot traffic and people coming into our building,” stated Mr. Dolan.

The changes come as a precaution to recent events of uninvited school intruders looking to do harm.

Tragic shootings such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting in 2012 and other school shootings, have led LHS to implement these precautionary changes. LHS security wants to make students and staff worry-free coming to school, ensuring that the school is a safe place to come everyday.

“I think security does a good job because they make sure everyone is where they are supposed to be,” stated senior Nikhil Krishnan.

According to Mr. Dolan, a goal for the end of this school year is to have the option of communicating with students from differrent doors outside the building. If a student wishes to enter the building, a security staff member can ask the student to show his or her identification and let the student in the building. For this to operate effectively, it is imperative that students have their identification on them at all times.

View Comments (1)