Dr. Norma Munson

Dr. Norma Munson, was born 1923 in Iowa and came to Libertyville in 1955. She was a Biology & Chemistry teacher at Libertyville High School from 1955 through 1979, taking breaks within that timeframe to further her studies and education. She was instrumental in the development of the AP Biology course and included a great deal of individual research in her classes. She held students to a high standard. According to Barry, “Her coworkers remembered her as having  a thirst for knowledge her entire life which she instilled in her students & [she was] fair & caring”. In addition to being a teacher, she also worked with the “LHS Adult Night School”, “The National Honor Society”, “Future Teachers Club” & “Biology Club”. She seemed to be a person that wanted to help others. She gave a great deal of her time to LHS, the students and the community. In 1970, she helped to start “The Save Butler Lake Group”. Butler Lake was decaying and filling up with silt, so Dr. Munson got her students involved. She assigned students to projects by analyzing wildlife and nature along the shore of Butler Lake and surrounding wooded areas. Her other accomplishments include serving several terms as President of the Lake County Audubon Society, 1971 Illinois Biology Teacher of the Year, 1974 Illinois Teacher of the Year and received various fellowships & study grants. She was also in many “Who’s Who” Books as one of many influential people. While teaching, she continued studying, learning & traveling. She got a degree in Nutrition and published articles on instilling good nutrition. In 1979 she resigned from LHS because she became allergic to formaldehyde. After she retired, she continued counseling people about nutrition from her home. She was into self improvement & helping others, lifelong learning & wanting to help people.

More information about Dr. Norma Munson can be found at https://shelflife.cooklib.org/2020/03/23/the-past-is-present-dr-norma-munson/.