Taco Bell Breaks Breakfast News

Taco+Bell+introduces+new+menu+March+27+at+7+a.m.+
Courtesy of Taco Bell website
Taco Bell introduces new menu March 27 at 7 a.m.

There’s no need to wait until noon for your taco anymore; Taco Bell is coming out with a breakfast menu on March 27 at 7 a.m. Taco Bell will introduce the Waffle Taco, A.M. Crunchwrap, and Cinnabon Delights, just a few of their new options.

Many of the new breakfast items have already been tested at 850 restaurants for more than a year and a half. According to Forbes Magazine, the breakfast menu will be served at around 5,500 locations around the U.S, including the Taco Bell located in Libertyville.

“After years of the same old thing, we’re confident our breakfast will wake up customers’ morning routine,” said Taco Bell chief marketing officer Chris Brandt in a press release.

The social media reaction to this breakfast boom is all over the board. Many people on Twitter are counting down the days until March 27, while others cringe at the high-calorie breakfast feast.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but will these items suffice a healthy breakfast? The A.M. Crunchwrap with sausage is 730 calories while the bacon and egg burrito is 450 calories.

“I don’t think people will really be interested in spicy burritos at 7 a.m., but we will see how it turns out,” said senior Emma Hoskins.

Taco Bell isn’t the only fast food franchise in this breakfast battle. Forbes Magazine says McDonald’s breakfast segment accounts for $10 billion in annual sales, which is approximately 30% of their total sales.

“I eat McDonald’s breakfast and really enjoy the Egg Mcmuffin the most. I’m super excited to try the new breakfast menu [at Taco Bell], ” said sophomore Nick Salzwedel.

ABC News reports that in order for McDonald’s to keep their sales up, they have considered extending their hours of operation. But there are constraints against kitchen space, making it hard for McDonald’s to keep up their game.

Other restaurants want in on these breakfast billions. Starbucks introduced a new menu from La Boulange in late 2012. This menu included many french pastries and regular baked goods. Starbucks has continued to expand its breakfast menu including sandwiches, oatmeal, and wraps.