The Final 2024 LHS Production: Dancing at Lughnasa
Girls Lacrosse crank out an outstanding performance in a game against Lake Forest

Offseason: You Can Never be too Prepared

Athletes+participate+in+after+school+Crossfit+Club+as+a+part+of+their+offseason+schedule+
Connor Polk
Athletes participate in after school Crossfit Club as a part of their offseason schedule

Every time a sport ends, there always seems to be that hint of bittersweetness in the fact that you no longer have to consistently work out every day and devote a portion of your life to a seasonal competition. But no matter how many hours of free time and relaxation you get back, it seems slightly unfulfilling by that noticeable lack of competitive team spirit and devoted motivation.  It is that bittersweetness, though, that is offset by the fact that offseason preparation for a season so far away starts so soon.

Obviously, it is diverse from sport to sport, some getting no mandated off season preparation at all, and others getting only one month without it.  But for those who do, the real question is if it all really matters.  Do those months of miles, laps, weights, workouts, or practice really make a difference once the next season rolls around and it’s really time to shine?

“It can be hard at times staying committed…but the results are worth it,” said Jeffrey Pearson, a sophomore member of the football program.  It’s that commitment that constitutes any and all results, even if the results aren’t necessarily observable improvements.

Mike Jones, the head coach of the LHS football program, is very confident in saying, “I know it would make a difference if we didn’t do it.”  Basically, even if one is to not achieve observable results, it would still be detrimental for them to not participate at all.

Speaking from experience as being a part of the lacrosse team, I can definitely say that it’s hard to drag yourself to any offseason workout day after day, especially after a long day at school.  By no means am I forced to go, but it’s the incentives towards individual and team success that always keep me pushing forward.  I know if I really put my time and effort in, the next season will yield better results.

“There’s a difference between the guys who kinda just show up to be there…and the guys who actually commit to it and really work at it.  You will see guys make huge strides in games, the guys who focus in on their lifting,” said LHS boys head lacrosse coach, Mr. Brady Sullivan.

Obviously there’s no replacement for one’s personal struggle towards progress, but a plausible substitute for any other mandated offseason is to simply join another sport.  While it obviously depends on the intensity of the joined sport to judge any legitimate results, it brings back that focused teamwork and motivation.

Regardless of what sport it is, what really matters is what a player is willing to put in to get out.  What can be done, should be done.  Not only are additional sports a good idea because “there’s no substitution for competition” but also, “any player who’s in any sport, if they want to work on their strength, can always do it outside of practice,” said Sullivan.

One can complain all they want, skip every practice, cheat every day, and say it’s all too much, but in actuality, there never can be too much preparation.   Obviously, only work to the extent that your body can handle, but when it comes down to it, the desire to pursue personal tangible results should have no limit.

No coach and no program will ever ask more of you than what is worth it for the team.  Treat every workout however you want as long as you remember that you can never be too ready for the next season and you can never be too much of a better player.