Learning about myself and journalism

Drops of Ink has played a huge role in (bear with me, I’m going to be cheesy and stereotypical) finding my myself during my time in high school. Being a rather introverted person, Drops of Ink became a family in which I’ve become comfortable in. My three years on staff have showed me how opening your eyes a little wider to the world opens up so many opportunities and that everything you see can become a story. Before I was on staff, I thought that all journalists were those quiet old people with glasses who would always carry around a notebook with a pencil in hand everywhere they went. Yet, while writing this, everyone around me is laughing about luring people with bagels on strings and birds that may or may not be trapped in the school. Journalists aren’t always these stoic, emotionless people. In class, we are quirky and full of humor, all while getting our work done at the same time. In addition, we have some of the best photojournalists and layout designers on staff as well, showing that there is so much more that goes into production than just the work of the writers. Now I have learned that this is what true journalism looks like: this is Drops of Ink.