Matt+Smith

Developing a passion for writing about more than sports

I’ve been in Drops of Ink since sophomore year, due to the fact that I love sports and writing about sports, so when I first joined staff, that is what I wanted to do. I didn’t know much about journalism, but through Drops of Ink, my eyes were opened to taking photos and layout. I also found a passion for writing, not just about sports, but about all kinds of topics surrounding LHS and the world. One topic that I’ve really enjoyed writing about is on students  with disabilities and those involved in the club Best Buddies. It opened my eyes to all sorts of things with these students’ lives and what they go through. Furthermore, the story about Zach Neir hit home for me. During my interviews with staff members, many of them broke down in tears, and it showed me how much he meant to them and this community and how hard of a loss it was to take. I tried my hardest to represent him the best way possible in this story. I became passionate about writing about all kinds of topics after that story. Drops of Ink is one of my main passions, and it has really helped me grow as a journalist and made me do things I never thought I could.