The LHS Canned Food Drive

Courtesy to Andrea Lara

Food donated from LHS students.

Last week, Libertyville High School held a canned food drive from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3. The drive is a yearly event held by Student Council.

The purpose of the drive was for everyone to aid their community to make it a better place. Student Council encouraged students to be helpful and to realize there are people in their own community who go hungry.

All students were encouraged to bring in cans to their third period classes. For motivation, prizes were given to the top five classes with the most cans. There were two top places: one received $250 for their WISH family as their prize for the most school pride, and the other first place received “Shake up the Wakeup” for most cans per capita. Second place recieved $200; third place, $150; fourth, $100; and fifth, $75, all for their WISH classes.

This year, Mr. Voss’s class took first with the most #lvillepride; Ms. Elmore’s class took first for most cans per capita; students of Mr. Thomas placed second; Mrs. Gooris’s class finished in third; Ms. Greenswag’s class in fourth; and Mr. Wahl’s students in fifth.

The cans are all used to help people locally in Lake County, they can be picked up at the food pantry.

All food is accepted, but this year, StuCo tried to encourage more substantial meal foods: for example, beans, meats, vegetables and ravioli, as opposed to ramen or other less-filling foods so that the cans given could ideally serve as a meal.

“It’s not that we won’t take [ramen], but it’s more just food that would serve as a full meal. We are kind of gravitating towards ravioli, meats, supplements like Hamburger Helper and stuff like that just because it’s more of substance,” said Student Council President Emily Regan.

The Student Council Executive Board also participates in the canned food drive, as well as each third hour class, to ensure that the school gives as many cans as possible. The Executive Board even fundraised themselves and gave some of their own money to buy even more cans. The members held raffles and other events throughout the year.

“Some people donate money to the canned food drive, [or] there was a raffle that [was done] at some of the football games for best seat in the house, and all the money for that went to [the] canned food drive,” stated Regan.

In total, Regan said there were 12,585 cans donated this year.