Student Musicians Represent LHS at Annual ILMEA Music Festival

Musicians+from+Band%2C+Choir%2C+and+Orchestra+pose+for+a+photo+before+they+performed+at+the+ILMEA+Festival+this+past+weekend.+
Dustin Helvie
Musicians from Band, Choir, and Orchestra pose for a photo before they performed at the ILMEA Festival this past weekend.

Several students attended the Illinois Music Education Association, or ILMEA, Festival on Nov. 12.

It took place at Crystal Lake Central High School. The Jazz Festival will be Nov. 19.

ILMEA is a music organization outside of Illinois high schools’ programs that the LHS music department takes part in every year.

The Libertyville High School band department had 10 students selected to represent LHS at the festival. For the band, there was junior Meredith Goldin and senior Michelle Ji on the flute, and senior Gillian Filler and sophomore David Lee on the clarinet. Brass instruments represented included sophomore Annalisa Waddick on the trumpet and senior Allison Goldman (also a member of Drops of Ink) on the trombone. Percussion was played by senior Brandon Tang.

The LHS orchestra sent senior Annika McDermott-Hinman on the oboe and junior Melissa Manetsch on the trombone.

In addition to band, students in choir performed with about 250 other students from different districts.

The singers who were a part of the district choir were junior Lauren Randolph as a soprano 1 and senior Ellie Frega as a soprano 2. Junior Will Neason performed as a tenor 2. Junior Phillip Nauman and senior Zach Pearson sang as Bass 1.

Playing in the upcoming Jazz Festival will be Waddick on the trumpet for Jazz I. For Jazz II, there will be senior Andrew Jacob on tenor sax, junior Max Chan on baritone sax, and junior Beck Ghantous on the bass trombone.

For Jazz III, it will be junior Jacob Dikelsky on the trombone and junior Julia Mollenhauer will be playing the trumpet for Jazz IV.

The main difference between the band and jazz festivals is when the performers receive their music. Jazz I, II, III and IV receive their music ahead of time, while bands III and IV will get their music at the festival. They are required to sight read it. Students are put in specific bands based on their ranking.  

Students auditioned for their music teachers a few weeks ago as a pre-audition. If their teacher picked them to advance, they played in front of four judges, who selected those that would play in the festival.

At the actual event, the musicians performed in front of judges and were given scores. If they received a high-enough score, they will be invited to play in the All-State band, orchestra or choir.

At the actual event, trumpeter Waddick had an overall positive experience.

“It was such a great experience because it was a bunch of people who have the same interests as you. Everyone was super into the music thing. They also were all amazing,” Waddick said.