Spot the difference!
LHS in Europe

A Little Bit of Hope

On Thursday, Oct. 6, members of Best Buddies, including Michelotti, gathered outside the cafeteria and sold make-your-own ice cream sundaes to help raise money for their club.
Maria Thames

You may know the name Hope Michelotti. Maybe it’s from a class, maybe you’ve known her your whole life, or maybe you just know her as the Homecoming Queen. No matter how you know Hope, you know she is enthusiastic, energetic, and always cracking jokes.

Mini Michelotti

While Hope may have Down syndrome, don’t mistake that as something that defines her life. She enjoys hanging out with friends and watching movies, just like an average high schooler. Unlike the average high schooler, though, she has also dedicated herself to the performing arts and has been a part of musicals for many years.

Her diagnosis was not a surprise to the family, as her mother, Mrs. Kirsten Michelotti, explained in an interview, that “[d]uring an ultrasound early in the pregnancy, the doctor suspected she had Down syndrome due to conditions that were already present.”

Growing up, Hope was always energetic, according Mrs. Michelotti. She was always up to something, especially if it involved the performing arts or spending time with her family.

Hope has two siblings, Camille, who’s older, and Carl, who’s younger. Even though Camille goes to college at Northwestern University in Evanston, the two sisters have still remained close. Hope has said that she’s visited her sister’s new apartment and been able to spend time with her.

Even though I’m older than Hope, she’s usually the one teaching me important lessons. She has such a unique and optimistic perspective on the world which can help shape the way I think about things,” expressed Camille, “I know that she always has my back. I’ve also learned to love generously from her; she does so in such an effortless way that makes me want to do the same.”

Hope in High School

High school has treated Hope well. She has been very active in various clubs, making an effort to be everybody’s friend. She is part of Best Buddies, Special Olympics and Special Gifts Theatre.

“I like to play games, and hang out with friends, and we’re talking about what we’re doing [in school],” said Hope about Best Buddies.

The Special Gifts Theatre in Wilmette puts on professional-looking shows with a mission “to provide children and teens with special needs a unique, creative drama experience enabling personal growth, while breaking down stereotypes related to disabilities within the community at large,” its website explains.

Hope has performed in “Beauty and the Beast,” “Annie” and “Cinderella” at the theatre, and they are currently working on a production of “Hairspray.” She does not yet know what part she will be playing.

Mrs. Lynda Ward, a special education teacher and Hope’s case manager, has worked closely with Hope for the past four years. A case manager helps develop a student’s IEP, or individualized education program, so that the individual can be independent and successful. Mrs. Ward has attended a few of the shows that Hope has taken part in.

“She prides herself on being an actress and a dancer. In the Special Gifts Theatre, she accomplishes both. It’s quite a professional presentation,” Mrs. Ward expressed.

Hope enjoys just about every class she is in, from gym with Mr. Gooris to the sciences, especially biology.

“I like gym because we have bowling…And my different classes I like. I like science, it’s really good. I like labs, working around chemicals,” explained Hope.

In class, Hope is enthusiastic and organized. She is an active participant and loves to help with technology.

“I would say what she loves the most is getting the right answer. Just participation is a strength of hers within the classroom, and you can just see that she beams when she has the right answer,” explained Mrs. Karin Morgan, the department of special services supervisor.

Hope’s brother, Carl, is a junior at LHS. She likes to see Carl play water polo and just seeing him around the school.

“I’m so happy with him in school because he always says ‘hi’ to me in the hallways; I like that,” said Hope.

Carl isn’t the only one she sees in the hallways. She also sees her friend Luke Christensen. Hope and Christenson first became friends at the beginning of last year because of their involvement in Best Buddies. Now, they have become very close friends during their time spent in gym together, and they are even bowling partners.

“I walk with her in the hallways and one thing she does is, just every other person she’s got a little shoot-up [hand motion], I don’t even know what that is, and she’ll call out their names, so that’s pretty cool,” Christensen exclaimed.

Outside of school, Hope likes to hang out with friends, go out to lunch and go to the movies. She likes to eat at Noodles and Company. She also loves music.

Sometimes, we’ll be in the car and she’s singing along to a song on the radio that nobody else in the car knows,” said Mrs. Michelotti in an email.

As for Hope’s future, “[s]he [has] been involved in performing arts for the past eight years and wants to continue that as well as her education in the visual arts,” explained Mrs. Michelotti.

Hope for Homecoming

As many people know, Hope was not only a part of the Sweet Sixteen, but she was elected as the 2016 Homecoming Queen. Since it is her last year at LHS, Hope said that winning was very special to her.

Hope felt overjoyed after she was nominated to be a part of the Sweet Sixteen, sharing it with her teachers and fellow students when she saw them later in the day. While she may have been excited, she was also nervous, especially after she was given a red rose at the Homecoming Assembly: “I’m freaking out because, I don’t know, I had that, like rose, so I’m happy and so excited.”

During the assembly, Hope was lucky enough to have her friend Christenson escort her into the ceremony. According to Christenson, Hope “didn’t want to do anything, any hand shakes down the aisle. No, she just wanted a straight-shot waving.”

Hope also got to sit on on the Homecoming float during the parade. She said that her favorite part of the parade was getting to see her parents, as well as waving at the crowds and feeling their excitement when they saw her.

All of Hope’s family and friends were incredibly happy for her. Mrs. Michelotti stated that they “were so happy for her and then proud” of her since it was not only an incredible opportunity, but she also took her responsibilities very seriously.

Even Hope’s teachers had plenty to say on her achievement. Mrs. Ward said they “were over the moon” about her recognition, while Mrs. Morgan highlighted how incredible it was to see the student reaction to Hope winning queen. She also said that she thought Hope has worked really hard to deserve the honor of Homecoming Queen.

While being the queen may seem like a new role for some, Hope seemed to accept the role immediately. When discussing how Hope handled being queen, Mrs. Ward expressed,  “I think that Hope has a little bit of queen inside her at all times.”