LHS alum Evan Skoug to join Team USA baseball

In a game against Oklahoma, Skoug rockets a 2-run HR which shows off the power and offense he can produce.
Photo courtesy of gofrogs.com

On May 6, it was announced that former LHS catcher Evan Skoug, now a sophomore at Texas Christian University, was invited to join the collegiate USA national baseball team and has accepted the invitation. Skoug is the eighth player in TCU baseball history to ever play for the team.

“Honestly I was very surprised because my coach called me into his office before a game and I thought that I was in for something or had a serious conversation but as soon as I walked in, he told me congratulations and shook my hand and told me I was headed to play for USA. I was super excited and very surprised to find out the news,” Skoug said.

The decision to invite Skoug comes after his impressive performance last year, in which he racked up many honors. He was picked to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team and named a Louisville Slugger All-American. Skoug batted .285 with 7 HRs and 46 RBIs.

In 2016, Skoug hasn’t slowed down, as he is batting .309 with 7 HRs and 39 RBIs. He has caught the Horned Frogs (30-12), who are the #15 ranked team in the nation in d1baseball.com’s Top 25, in all 42 contests so far.

Skoug said he will report to Los Angeles on June 26. With Team USA, he will be playing games in Dodger Stadium and  Angel Stadium of Anaheim,as well as in the countries of Taiwan, Japan and Cuba.

On whether or not he was excited or nervous for this opportunity, Skoug said “I’m all of the above, but honestly more excited because of how prestigious this is and to meet new teammates and friends for life, travel all over the world and play the best game in the world!”