Not many expected Syracuse to advance this far in the tournament.

Photo taken by Nuccio DiNuzzo of MCT Campus

2016 Midwest region champions – Syracuse

How they got here:

To the surprise of many, the Syracuse Orange, a number 10 seed, have advanced to the Final Four. The Orange have been an incredibly streaky team all season long, with various winning and losing streaks scattered throughout the year. Syracuse even ended the regular season losing five of their last six games. However, this inconsistency has played exactly into their favor, as the Orange have rattled off four straight victories over Dayton, Middle Tennessee, Gonzaga, and the top-seeded Virginia Cavaliers. After Michigan State was upset in the first round, Virginia was the overwhelming favorite to come out of the Midwest region. This time of year is known for the unpredictable, but nothing quite matches the chaos found here. Less than one percent of over 13 million brackets in the ESPN Bracket Challenge had Syracuse in their Final Four, and I’m sure those lucky few are as shocked as everyone else.

Player to watch:

Michael Gbinije

Gbinije, a 6’7”, 200-pound guard, is the engine that gets the Orange running. In the regular season, Gbinije posted an 18-point, 4-rebound, 4-assist, 2-steal per game statline, evidence of his all-around talent and ability to contribute in multiple different ways. He is also a solid shooter, as he managed to knock down 2.5 triples on 6.3 attempts per game (about 40 percent). Gbinije, however, has had an up-and-down postseason thus far. In the four tournament games, the star guard averaged 16 points per game, but shot under 35 percent from the field in three of the four contests. Professional scouts will be looking to see how Gbinije does against the North Carolina defense, which boasts players with NBA-level size and athleticism. A strong performance against the Tar Heels would not only boost his draft stock but also boost the Orange into the championship game.

How they could win:

Syracuse’s numbers certainly don’t blow you away … but they still manage to get the job done. Despite ranking 111th and 49th in offensive and defensive efficiency, respectively (according to Team Rankings), the Orange have managed to frustrate their opponents with their famous 2-3 zone defense. Head coach Jim Boeheim has plenty of experience in the postseason, including a championship title in 2003, and will have his guys ready to go at the tip against North Carolina. Syracuse heads into the matchup as the heavy underdogs, but if the Orange are capable of keeping the Tar Heels off the offensive glass and forcing a large amount of turnovers, then they might just claw their way to victory like they’ve been doing for the past few weeks. The Tar Heels are being picked by many to take home the trophy, but if any team can stop them, it’s the red-hot Syracuse Orange.